Restoration project of 1965 Cherokee

Little Fire

Recruit
Inherited this 1965 Cherokee w/ 30hp 2 stroke Johnson from my dad. I will be starting a complete restoration/modification with my son (Aidan 13 yrs old). We've named it "Little Fire". I know very little about the boat except riding in it many years ago. I plan to post our progress. First off is the Johnson to someone for rebuild. I welcome any and ALL advice and assistance. Will be red top, polished aluminum bottom, accented vinyl tucked pads into wood finished seats.

IMG_6428 small.jpgIMG_6424 small.jpgIMG_6490 small.jpgIMG_6446 small.jpgIMG_6442 small.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoration project of 1965 Cherokee

That is an extremely cool old tinnie you have there. Good luck on your project! We have a lot of tin boat projects on here for you to reference.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

looks like it will clean up nicely.Cool to have another ol classic coming back to the water. Should be a fun lil boat!

drewpster

Commander

I bet it will allot of fun for you both. Very cool retro look when you guys are finished. Many of the old Johnsons are highly prized and sought after. I recommend you stay away from the polished aluminum. It looks great when it is done, but it is very difficult to keep looking good. It quickly fades and chaulks without constant care. Its just my opinion.
I would love to see it done though.

MountaineerMiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice. I love the look. I have been real into the classics lately and reading alot about old outboards.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Check out www.acmeoutboards.com
He did an old Texas Maid tinny with a pair of late 50's OMC Big Twins...one is a Johnson kinda like yours. They are great running motors and very reliable.

Little Fire

Recruit

Thanks for the advice on the aluminum... I've been seriously worried about that idea and after seeing so many online restored and painted like an old muscle car, well, I think Little Fire's gonna get some paint! Thanks.
I bet it will allot of fun for you both. Very cool retro look when you guys are finished. Many of the old Johnsons are highly prized and sought after. I recommend you stay away from the polished aluminum. It looks great when it is done, but it is very difficult to keep looking good. It quickly fades and chaulks without constant care. Its just my opinion.
I would love to see it done though.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like it'll be a fun project- I'm always amazed at how well those 'tinnies' clean up!!!

How sure are you about the age? the styling looks a little older than '65 to me... And the motor IS earlier than '65 ('57 or '58), but that could have been changed...

Little Fire

Recruit

I have found the engine to be a 1956, the hull is 1965 on the title but I will check that as well if I can find the numbers tomorrow!
I'm so excited about this project I can't stand it... I want to get it done and in the water tomorrow but I know it's gonna take me a little while.
Thanks so much for the support.

Looks like it'll be a fun project- I'm always amazed at how well those 'tinnies' clean up!!!

How sure are you about the age? the styling looks a little older than '65 to me... And the motor IS earlier than '65 ('57 or '58), but that could have been changed...

Little Fire

Recruit
Can anyone give me some advice on where to go for engine parts for my 1956 30 hp Johnson? I know I already need a carburetor and I'm having a hard time online. Thanks, John

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
At the top of one of these forums is a list of marine salvage yards. As for that old engine it may be easier to keep a watch on craigslist for another one that can be used as a donor.

BTW, good to see you back!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome back to your topic :)

Did you check the Acme site posted earlier for parts?

The AOMCI site has lots of vintage outboard resources. Buying a whole motor to get a single part may not make much sense, but in the long run, you may need more then 1 part.

That said, in a resto topic about a Cherokee may not be the best place to get lots of foot traffic and answers to vintage Johnson outboard questions, I'd recommend starting a topic about your outboard and asking these types of questions there. I'd bet w/ some searching you could find a rebuild kit for that carb, why do you want to replace it?

Johnsons are not typically too hard to find parts for.

Any chance you've gotten some more work done on the Cherokee, and have updated pix?

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Welcome back to your topic :)
Buying a whole motor to get a single part may not make much sense, but in the long run, you may need more then 1 part.

Johnsons are not typically too hard to find parts for.

Mostly it doesn't but there are times.
Examples; Few years ago I paid $50.00 for a complete 1964 18hp Evinrude with a blown piston. All I wanted was the lower unit. Was later able to sell what was left for parts to someone else for that same $50.00
On Monday I'm going to pick up a 1980 50hp Evinrude that again all I need is the lower unit. Though I'm sure there will be other parts on it that I will keep. Cost of this one, about $100.00 including gas to go get it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Oops, I should have been more clear, I meant for the right price getting the whole motor can be, IN THE LONG RUN, a better idea then it seems, even if you only need 1 part right now, like a carb.

I wouldn't count the entire lower as 1 part, although it is often sold complete as 1 unit.

$100 total for what you needed for 2 different motors doesn't sound too bad.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That's the nice thing about these engines, many parts will interchange over many years and models.