1988 IMP Windshield Restoration or replacement

ChrstphrJrsz

Recruit
HI,

I have a 1988 IMP that I've been restoring for awhile now. This is my first boat and I can definitely say I am a novice at this stuff. Right now I want to replace the windshield. My questions are as follows:
a. How do i remove the windshield.
b. Can I just buy a new windshield or do I have to restore the old one. Apparently, the manufacturer of my boat is no longer in existence.
c. What type of paint do I have to use?
d. Where do I get all the materials I need in order to complete this job?
e. Exactly what do I need in order to get this done?
f. Are there any other things i should consider before embarking on this endeavor?

All replies would be sincerely appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Chris

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 IMP Windshield Restoration or replacement

I also had a 1988 IMP. To remove the windshield I recall it being screwed from the outside. Along the whole base where the windshield mounts to the boat there was a black, plastic cover. This cover pries out, and reveals screws. Unscrew it completely, and if you have a windshield mounted anchor light, remember to disconnect this prior, as it needs to come off with the windshield.

The windshield off my IMP seemed like it could be easily made. No complex angles or curves that I saw. If yours is in fair shape, I would recommend refinishing it. It might be possible to remove the glass and possibly have it coated. If the glass is shot, once again being no curves a good glass shop could make new pieces.

One last note, at least with mine, this is a HEAVY item and needed to come off the boat in one complete set up (sides and fronts all together). I think the front and sides do come apart from each other, but when I initially removed it, it came as one.

What model boat do you have? Mine was a 27' Liberty model.

ChrstphrJrsz

Recruit

25thmustang,

Thanks for helpful insights. I have a few more questions:

a. You are right. There are no complex angles and it does look rlatively simple to restore. I use the term relative, like I have something to compare it too, yet I never restored one before. haha.
b. What exactly do I need to replace when restoring the windshield (i.e. support bars, molding, trim, etc.)
c. What about the paint? Is there a special paint I need to get?
d. Do you think I can handle this project or should I seek a professionals help? I am relatively handy, but at times I do doubt myslef; albeit, it does seem like something that is within my comfort zone.

I have a 19Ft. IMP Ashanti. I/O Mercruiser 3.7L 170HP, closed cooling system, 4cyl.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

As far as items to replace when redoing the windshield, I would look into replacing that trim over the screws, possibly the screws themselves, if you have latches for tilt out vents, those, if your boat has snaps for a bimini or camper enclosure, all these little items might stand to be replaced.

As for what to paint it with, it really depends on the metal it is made from. My current boat has a welded aluminum frame, that claims to be electrostatically coated. It appears to have held up since 1987, very well.

If the glass is in good shape, I think you could get away with refinishing the frame, and be all set.

BTW, when you do reinstall, be sure to seal all the screw holes with something like 4200/5200, to keep water out.

My boat had twin 3.7LXs (190 hp version of that motor), although I never was able to run her, due to rot.