Making filler/putty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering guys, i have a 1980 Hydra-Sports Classic III i'm putting a new deck in. The old deck was put on before the top half was installed, and i would love to redo it that way, but i don't have the time and the help to. What I was going to do is just lay the plywood over the lip from the edges where it extends out over where the old wood was. Only problem is that the edges of the wood are going to create a "ditch" or dam for the water to sit in, and i know that is not good. My question is that can I make a filler w/ some polyester resin and wood dust? Ive got plenty of dust so i could make it as thick as it needs to be. I would make kitty hair or something like the peanut butter but the budget is the thing. I'm just going to fill the gaps with it and smooth it out to make a uniform rounded edge and like I said it's right against the wall so it wont be being stepped on.

Any opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Making filler/putty

To smooth out that edge ......use a plastic spoon...... cheap disposable and effective for making a nice rounded edge ;)

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

To smooth out that edge ......use a plastic spoon...... cheap disposable and effective for making a nice rounded edge ;)

And stay out of the cutlery drawer...I got yelled at yesterday. :facepalm: "We have a million spoons c'mon babe..." /crickets

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I used a piece of 1/2" PVC conduit to run the fillets, you can heat it up a bit and make a 45? bend and you can use it over and over, plus it's stiffer than the spoons and works much better for me.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Wood dust is what wood flour is, so your on the right track.

Friscoboater

Captain

How long should the milled fibers be? Do they need to be 1/4 shop or can it be the really small stuff so the PB does not get "pokey".

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

How long should the milled fibers be? Do they need to be 1/4 shop or can it be the really small stuff so the PB does not get "pokey".

I just scoop my glass grindage out of the shop vac and mix that in with the resin.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Let me be the first to Welcome you to iBoats!
OOPS Sooper Dooper Peanut Butter Recipe
here is the forumula....

cabosil....glass bubbles and 1/4 inch glass fibers.....mixed with resin

mix it up well use a drill with an Old Hand Mixer paddle. Should be the consistency of creamy peanut butter.

after its mixed up good....then add the catalyst.....according to the amount of resin you added....between 1.5% to 2.5%...no more....no less
Mix it again
Apply You'll have about 15 mins @ 70 degrees less time if it's hot. Use less catalyst to give you more time but NOT less than 1.5%

I use one of these.... Cost a Buck at the Dollar Store. Teflon coated. Very sturdy and works great.
39423504-f.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Let me be the first to Welcome you to iBoats!
OOPS Sooper Dooper Peanut Butter Recipe
here is the forumula....

cabosil....glass bubbles and 1/4 inch glass fibers.....mixed with resin

mix it up well use a drill with an Old Hand Mixer paddle. Should be the consistency of creamy peanut butter.

after its mixed up good....then add the catalyst.....according to the amount of resin you added....between 1.5% to 2.5%...no more....no less
Mix it again
Apply You'll have about 15 mins @ 70 degrees less time if it's hot. Use less catalyst to give you more time but NOT less than 1.5%

I use one of these.... Cost a Buck at the Dollar Store. Teflon coated. Very sturdy and works great.
39423504-f.jpg

This is way over thinking it .. and you dont want to power mix with glass in your Putty.

YD.

PS. 1.5% cat is your MAX in your fills ( Im sure the I wont be quoted on this another couple months ..again...).

PSS. spoons ? ... erm..you do know that those yellow plastic spreaders can be CUT to Any shape you want..right ?? I think there like 1.00 a pop.

And resin brush over your fillet ( as I have said before ) will allmost negate all of the " use spoon or PVC " kinda tricks.

Sigh.. how do you do that headpalm thingy again ..

YD.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

That's all the voices in your head doing it together!!!!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is way over thinking it .. and you dont want to power mix with glass in your Putty.

YD.

PS. 1.5% cat is your MAX in your fills ( Im sure the I wont be quoted on this another couple months ..again...).

PSS. spoons ? ... erm..you do know that those yellow plastic spreaders can be CUT to Any shape you want..right ?? I think there like 1.00 a pop.

And resin brush over your fillet ( as I have said before ) will allmost negate all of the " use spoon or PVC " kinda tricks.

Sigh.. how do you do that headpalm thingy again ..

YD.

Can't you give advice without critisizeing people.
I for one respect that you know alot about glassing but geez man, almost every post I read with you giveing advice makes me think that you think you know everthing and everyone elses opinon is trash.

You also make it sound as if you don't enjoy shareing your knowlege.
If not, why post?

Sorry mods , I hope that's not over the line.

Friscoboater

Captain

This goes back to the old saying, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". There are about 10 ways to make a fillet, and none are wrong. This forum is for people to discuss ideas and make up their own opinions. This needs to stop! Pretty soon no one will speak up about anything in fear of getting chastised.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It is NOT over the line.
That is OOPS publicized Peanut Butter recipe and is EXACTLY how he describes it to be made. It has been used by HUNDREDS of iBoaters with GREAT results. OOPS Does use a drill and an old Hand Mixer paddle to mix his.

But Yacht Doctor has HIS way and does not seem to recognize or credit, methods other than his own.:facepalm:

As for me I'll keep using OOPS recipe and my Spoon. It hasn't KILLED me yet. :eek:

nemo2011

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what I would like to know is how to prevent back damage when applying this mixture :mad:
I have been laid up for three days now with a sore back after applying PB and started on tabbing stringers & bulkheads!! :(

rickryder

Commander

what I would like to know is how to prevent back damage when applying this mixture :mad:
I have been laid up for three days now with a sore back after applying PB and started on tabbing stringers & bulkheads!! :(

I use a gallon Zip Loc bag and fill it with PB,snip the tip of the bag and pipe it like icing....It makes quick work of laying the PB down. Then I smooth it with "THE SPOON" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.