How to replace plywood sole/deck under a bowrider fiberglass deck????

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought I could get away not re-working the stringers deck under the bow area of my bowrider. But I have now decided that it would be wise to do the job completely.

My bowrider has a fiberglass sub deck that sits 6" above the main deck and supported by to "L" brackets.

I plan on cutting out the sub deck to gain access to the main deck/sole and then either trying to fit the cut out piece back into the cap or making wooden boxes to support the bow seats and have a single level deck from bow to stern.

Can anyone see any structural problems with this plan?

Pulling the cap is not an option!!!!!

Hopefully these will explain better what I am trying to do:

Here you can see the height difference and rotton sole that needs replaced
20110412_0650.jpg

20110412_0651.jpg

I plan cutting along the blue line
20110412_0653.jpg

20110412_0652.jpg

20110412_0654.jpg

Re: How to replace plywood sole/deck under a bowrider fiberglass deck????

MY sunray tri haul is alot like yours....I'll be dealing with this exact same problem. i noticed on my boat they just built up under the walking area with ply, i will be separating the two halfs.....i don't wanna start cutting into good glass and making more work...I'd be crawling under there with with some scraps before i start cutting.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to replace plywood sole/deck under a bowrider fiberglass deck????

I feel your pain. I went ahead and cut mine out, because I wanted full access the the stringers. I am restoring my boat in my garage and removing the cap was not an option. Plus I can have deeper/higher seats in the bow area and the deck will be all one level (better drainage)
Here is photo of what i did:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=422361&page=2&p=3246641&viewfull=1#post3246641

Good luck with your project and keep me posted.

MY sunray tri haul is alot like yours....I'll be dealing with this exact same problem. i noticed on my boat they just built up under the walking area with ply, i will be separating the two halfs.....i don't wanna start cutting into good glass and making more work...I'd be crawling under there with with some scraps before i start cutting.