Is 2oz of Marine Tex enough?

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I have to fill little cracks and 1 small gouge(3 inch by 1/4" thick on the gelcoat) could a 2oz package work?
I am just trying to figure out how much Marine Tex to order... BTW, is the process of putting it on straightforward, or do I need some iBoat wisdom to do it right? Any tips?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is 2oz of Marine Tex enough?

Hard to say, when you say "little cracks" we don't know how little or how many. Some pictures would help here.

But yes it's fairly straight forward, it'll involve a little grinding and surface preparation, but usually not bad. The Marine Tex comes with very good detailed instructions.

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That should be plenty for you. Mix the catalyst in the same vial that the black stuff is held in. I just finished filling 16 holes in my transom with this stuff, it's great, though can be a little runny so use some painter's tape to hold it until it cures if you're applying it to a vertical surface. I had to use a syringe to fill my holes then taped it shut with tape.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hard to say, when you say "little cracks" we don't know how little or how many. Some pictures would help here.

But yes it's fairly straight forward, it'll involve a little grinding and surface preparation, but usually not bad. The Marine Tex comes with very good detailed instructions.

I'm talkin' 6 or 7 2 inch long hairline cracks near the bottom of the hull, one paper hole sized cut on the gelcoat on bottom of boat, and the 3" by 1/4" on the side. I believe 2 owill cover it, but want to make sure of course.