Deep Scratch on Hull

00cls1camaross

Recruit
I got this deep scratch on my boat on a really windy day and I hit a sharp corner on the boat dock.

Any advice on how I should go about repairing this?

Thanks in Advance!

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deep Scratch on Hull

Welcome to iBoats!!

We have several Glass Repair Experts on here and I am sure they will chime in. Here's a couple of article's on how to do it.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm

I know color matching the Gelcoat is NOT easy and prepping/grinding/sanding the scratch and cleaning it is very important. You're probably gunna need to use Gelcoat paste and or maybe some filler. I'll let the experts tell ya.

Start by reading these and then read what our local experts like OOPS, Yacht Doctor etc.. have to say.

00cls1camaross

Recruit

Thanks! I will take a look at those articles. I don't even need it to color match because it is underneath the sticker. I will replace the whole sticker after I repair this.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well if that is the case then you could use a product call Marine Tex. Sand the scratch out with 60 grit to remove any loose particles, Clean it real good with acetone then spread in the Marine tex let it dry, sand it smooth re-apply the sticker and you're good to go. I did not realize that was a decal.

00cls1camaross

Recruit

I took a look at this and it looks great. Has anyone had first hand experience with this?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah ME!!! Marine Tex works GREAT!! It will repair your fiberglass and NEVER come off. Do a search here on the forum for it. You'll find PLENTY of examples.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Right way.. Grind and glass it..fill and fair..prep..gel..sand and buff.. ( alot of work ).

Temp way.. fill it with Tex or whatever and put your "graphics" over them..

I can tell you right now..your scratch is a bit more than what you think it is.. just filing over delaminated glass is Not the Right way for a perm repair..

You need some glass on that.

YD.