Cleat madness

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What do you guys think is the best way to go about cleats, and a general cleat setup on a closed bowed Starcraft Holiday (15 foot). I would think that the anchor line and anchor should go straight off the bow of the boat. But, with the bow light, that seems impossible. Any ideas on a design on how I should rig cleats on the boat, and how an anchor line off the front would work on this boat. Any diagrams would be welcome. Thanks.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Cleat madness

On a closed-bow rig, the best way is to have a big cleat in the middle, and then an anchor chock on each side of the bow.

That way you can reach the rope without climbing up on the bow, and also anchor on either side, depending on the situation.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How close would you put the 2 chocks near the bow light / tip of the bow?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Put the cleats about 12-24" back on each side. Be certain to back the cleats when you install them.

on my boat and it works great for me i have a closed bow. i have a cleat on either side of the boat near the windshield so i can reach it easily and have a line chock thing on each side of the bow light. it works great easies for me to use and not leaning over any thing to get the rope,

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Back the cleat? With what, rubber or something?

I also have two cleats right now on the sides of the boat windshield. Need to get some of those chocks though. The not having to leaning over bit definitely sounds like a good thing.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When the cleat is mounted it is best to put a small mounting plate or even large stainless steel fender washer's on the nut side of the bolt since you will have the anchor line stress on them. I used SS fender washer's on my Starcraft

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right, sorry, I was confused. I am definitely thinking of backing it up with some sheet metal plates (2" by 4") I got. They might be aluminum, but I am doubling the plates up so they are extra strong. Think the fender washers are better?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For better research they are called " skene chalks " .

IF your going to pull up fender washers from your deck ( for whatever reason ) then those big plates might make more serious damage..

Sometimes its better to let go of things then make them Overbuilt.

Fenders should suit you just fine. ( unless the deck is so thin ..then add a block of ply underside ).

YD.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The deck is kind of thin. I sheet of Typical aluminum starcraft, I guess (closed bow boat). I can pretty easily cut the plates to size; they are not that strong actually, and can bend a bit if you try to bend them with your hands. Does that make a big difference? Also, where is the best place to get fender washers?

bananaboater

Ensign

I used scrap marine ply to back up my cleat installation. Drilled it out and used it as a hole pattern. Then screwed the cleats down to the pad under the deck with ss screws, no need for nuts. The force on the screws is a sideways (shear) pull so it will take a bunch of it to tear them out. Here is a link to how I did it.
http://s860.photobucket.com/albums/...nabert/Boat/?action=view&current=IMG_1098.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I plan to do mine patterned after a 14' Glastron I owned, hooking the anchor rope to the bow eye & putting cleats on each side just in front of the windshield. Then you can easily reach from either side. My original setup is like ezmobee describes.

Forgive the childlike scrawling, I did not do well in second grade drawing!

bow-anchor.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

where is the best place to get fender washers?

West M .. local marine stores.. or your local Boat repair place will sell/give them to ya :) .

YD.

PS. I would never use just Screws..allways through bolt cleats. The pull is not allways shear.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So would the anchor be pulling on / pulling off of the cleat in front of the windshield, or off the eye of the boat? I got that setup already, but have nothing for docking...only have two cleats, and no place to put the fenders, or tie down the boat while I park the truck in the lot. figuring maybe keeping them, and adding on the setup that ez suggested. Is that bonkers?

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

heck, since the aluminum is so thin, I might just take a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and back it with that instead of the fender washers? Would that work?

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would that be a little off center then...since it is pulling on one side of the boat, and not in the middle?...maybe tip the boat, if hit by some big waves?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yes, off center and I suppose it could. I really anchor rarely but would rather deal with that than be climbing on the front deck in rough waves. Never had it tip the boat though. Your point is well taken, the Glastron was fiberblass & heavier. My cleats will mostly be used for docking.