1986 Galaxie cuddy cabin refit: deck, stringers and ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphenry

Cadet
Well I guess I should start this, the sun has finally decided to shine here.

Here is a little video of the boat, enjoy.

these videos and photos are taken with my phone, so be nice....

okay some NUB questions... those white things on my boat that have been broken off, can anyone enlighten me as to what they might have been...

This is the front holder, it has been pulled loose, I will need to pull up the forward Deck to just get to that wont I?
0329111739.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1986 Galaxie cuddy cabin refit: deck, stringers and ....

Okay, I looked ;)

The water is leaking and getting in "probably" from the window frames which need to be sealed up (Do not use regular silicone) with a quality marine caulking.

The bow eye will need to be accessed from the inside to be tightened and more than likely the piece of hardwood inside is split and need to be replaced.

The strange brackets are for fishing downrigger's :)

The water in the cuddy more than likely is unable to drain due to blocked drain holes. They are probably under the carpet and based on the age I am not surprised. Probe around with a small phillips screwdriver and find the hole.

Based on the overall age the hull, stringer's, deck will need a full inspection. Take some time to browse thru this post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451 and read. This will give you a good start.

You have work ahead of you!

jonesg

Admiral

From what I've learned, if that were mine I'd consider it a total gut job until proven otherwise.
Expect to find rotted stringers, saturated foam, the whole lot.
It hasn't been maintained at all.

Raphenry

Cadet

Okay, I looked ;)

...browse thru this post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451 and read. This will give you a good start.

Thanks for the look... This is a new project and needed a someone to give a little input. I had already browsed over most of that. I had not completes Oops build, but have looked at Friscos', Produceguy's and Rickey's.

Raphenry

Cadet

Okay, I looked ;)

...browse thru this post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451 and read. This will give you a good start.

Thanks for the look... This is a new project and needed a someone to give a little input. I had already browsed over most of that. I had not completed Oops build, but have looked at Friscos', Produceguy's and Rickey's.

From what I've learned, if that were mine I'd consider it a total gut job until proven otherwise.
Expect to find rotted stringers, saturated foam, the whole lot.
It hasn't been maintained at all.

That was kinda what I was thinking from the builds I have been reading over. Hence the title....

Thanks for your input. Will add as i dismantle. First want to make sure the engine still turns over...

when trying to multi quote read directions and you wont have double posts like mine. lol

Last edited:

Raphenry

Cadet

Thought I would get to work on the boat last weekend, but wife and daughter's cars needed work, shucks.... will get some pics of the dis-assembly coming.

Raphenry

Cadet

wow... pulled out the "benches" if one could call them that. Then I pulled up the only good part of the floor, some one put a piece of plywood with marine carpet wrapped around it on top of the floor. That was covering the ski locker or storage locker. I will post pics later, camera, phone, batteries were dead.

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally another galaxie owner im currently going through a complete restore myself. Good luck to you.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rh, I really like that hull, that looks sharp.

Good luck on your project, she will be a nice ride when your done.

I used one of those wire snakes that you would run eletricall wire with to unplug my drain holes, worked pretty good.

Raphenry

Cadet

I used one of those wire snakes that you would run eletricall wire with to unplug my drain holes, worked pretty good.
If only I could find the drain holes....

Hey Proshine, you documenting your build?

Okay for today....
bucketfloor.jpg

If ya ever lose your bucket....

lackoffiberglass.jpg

Is there any good reason for all the undulations in the rear sump? The keel of the boat is directly below, so the 2 to 3 inch space under parts of the engine sump dont seem to be doing anything except holding water.

Thanks

Gator1955

Cadet
Hey rap I have an 87 galaxie 18 foot cuddy cabin in pretty much the same state. I hope you still have your boat. I was wondering if you could get measurements of the engine mounts for me im rebuilding mine and plan on cleaning up the design

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey rap I have an 87 galaxie 18 foot cuddy cabin in pretty much the same state. I hope you still have your boat. I was wondering if you could get measurements of the engine mounts for me im rebuilding mine and plan on cleaning up the design

He ain't here no more. Asking him questions is fruitless when it's been over 5 years!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.