Jetski Engine and Propulsion Installed in My 14 FT Jonboat

mspring

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a jetski for $75 no title. I have been considering the idea of installing the engine and propulsion system in my 14 foot aluminum jon boat. If it can be done I could get my jon boat in shallow spots like the flats. What do you guys think? I know sealing the "thru hull" areas on an aluminum boat is the only obsticle I can think of

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Jetski Engine and Propulsion Installed in My 14 FT Jonboat

I bought a jetski for $75 no title. I have been considering the idea of installing the engine and propulsion system in my 14 foot aluminum jon boat. If it can be done I could get my jon boat in shallow spots like the flats. What do you guys think? I know sealing the "thru hull" areas on an aluminum boat is the only obsticle I can think of

I am thinking along the same line but I wanted to wait and see if some one else could do it first.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It has been done and actually a jet jon is common on some river's. You will need access to an aluminum welder and some patience ....... it should be a fun project. Take lot's of pictures!!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard of this too, but never seen one. Looking forward to the pictures as well.

oohsparkly

Cadet

man those setups look bad. i know somebody here could do better.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

If your Jon boat is welded then you shouldn't have any problem welding it using spray arc transfer, (MIG with spool gun or push pull setup). If the boat is riveted, don't even try it, you'll end up cracking the al and ruining the boat. If you want to see how it's done find a boat with a Merc Sport Jet setup. Jetcraft and Harbercraft has them out there and I think Duckworth and Rogue might have done it too.

mspring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies guys. I want to avoid welding if possible. I am thinking of using stainless steel angle mounted to the pre-existing cross members that are already riveted in the bottom of the boat to install the motor mounts on.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

I was going to build one with twin Kawasaki 300s, but I found a Jet Mate with a twin carb 750 and it's been great little boat.

Attachments

• litl-squirt.jpg
    litl-squirt.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • jm1.jpg
    jm1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am leaning more towards finding an older glass boat that I can convert. I have tried welding alum before and I did not like my results.

Plus i could buy one built already for the money that I woud spend on the welding equip.