14 ' aluminum restoration

BadBass121

Cadet
I just got a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 28 hp mariner. The boat had been sitting outside for a while and I ended up having to rip up the carpet, floor, and the foam underneath the floor. I'm new to this and this is the first boat I've owned. What kind of foam and plywood should I use?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14 ' aluminum restoration

You have asked a question that can, at times, be fiercely debated around here. Foam and plywood!

In general...

For foam replacement - pink/blue foam board from the lumber yard or pool noodles from the dollar store make for great flotation

For plywood - exterior grade or Auraco plywood sealed up with epoxy would make for a very long lasting deck

Now, lots of varying opinions out there! Also, a lot depends on your boat, your budget and your goals too.

Probably best we get a look at your boat and see what you are working on. Can you post up some photos?

Welcome!

kfa4303

Banned

Hi BadBass21. Jasoutside is right. The main thing you want to keep in mind is material selection. The pink/blue building foam you can get in plywood sized panels from Lowe's/Home Depot and/or pool noodles are great because they're fairly cheap, readily avaiable and SEALED forms of styrofoam so they can't wont absorb much water should your boat get swamped. Also, be sure you don't use any pressure treated wood on the aluminum boat!!! I know it seems odd, but the chemicals in the pressure treated wood can react with the aluminum hull and cause corosion. As a result, you'll see/read a lot here about how folks took exterior grade plywood and then wrapped it in fiberglass and/or epoxy to waterproof it. Others just go with the exterior grade plywood and paint it with a durable exterior grade paint of some sort. While the fiberglass wrapping method will probably last longer, it does cost more upfront and it requires buying and using some pretty funky chemicals and materials, but it will last longer to be sure. That being said, if you do a good job with painting/sealing the plywood with something like an epoxy based paint you should still get many years of use of of it. Keep us posted. We love pics;)

BadBass121

Cadet

Alright thanks for the help guys. I posted a pic to my profile, but I can't figure out how to post them to the thread. Like I said, I'm new to this.

BadBass121

Cadet

Figured out how to attach pictures, so here is a couple pics of what I'm workin on.

DSC02508.jpg
DSC02511.jpg
DSC02509.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well they're pretty much sister companies so the hulls are often very similar, if not identical.

kfa4303

Banned

Looks like the worst is over. Once you get all the crud out you'll the fun part starts. do check out all the starcraft threads. they're super helpful.

BadBass121

Cadet

Ok cool, Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep ya all posted on the progress.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Looks like a nice project. Love those old Tinnies.

BadBass121

Cadet

Ok, I'v got everything stripped out right now and I decided to paint it while everything is out. How would I take the old paint off and what would I do to get the new paint to stick. Any suggestions on type of paint and color schemes?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ok, I'v got everything stripped out right now and I decided to paint it while everything is out. How would I take the old paint off and what would I do to get the new paint to stick. Any suggestions on type of paint and color schemes?

Have you taken the time to read the starcraft restorations or other aluminum restorations. I really wish people would SEARCH and read ....right up at the top of the restoration section we have this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451 Probably 95%+ of your questions have been addressed, answered, tested and discussed.