Proper way to paint fiberglass?

westjr8

Seaman Apprentice
I am taking on the endeavor of repainting my 1984 15' Glasstream bass boat. Its a fiber glass hull and the only reason why I want to paint it is so it will look clean and fresh. I have surfed the forums to find a good thread on how to paint a FG hull and I cannot find a straight answer. Can someone give me a quick step-by-step instruction? Thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Proper way to paint fiberglass?

Ayuh,... Are ya lookin' for a Pretty Good paint job,...
Or,...
A Million Dollar paint job,..??

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

LIke Bond-o said what kind of finish are you after. Prep of the surface is a critical step in a nice looking paint job. I personally use Dupont Imron, it's pricey but looks great and holds up well. You can aslo use Rustoleum Enamel with roll and tip method. And last, you can sand a little and brush on several paints out there.

To me, if I'm going to the trouble of painting, do it right and prep the hull properly, fill or repair blemishes and spray with a good quaility marine paint.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I painted my boat with automotive paint as well. I used acrylic enamel from tcpglobal.com. I've used that paint on multiple stand up jetski's as well and I can assure you that all of my stand up jetski's have seen ridiculous abuse. They're all holding up well though. Some had primer laid first and others were bare fiberglass. Just make sure it's clean and you'll be good. If you want to paint it white, red, or any other light colored paint, you'll want to use a primer to help hide the blemishes underneith. If you use a dark gray, black, or deep blue, you can get away with just paint and no primer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would ALWAYS recommend using primer. The Paint is formulated to adhere to the primer via chemical reaction. Without the primer you can get ALL kinds of differenct results...Some good some not so goo. Up to you though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, if you Ain't sprayin then Roll n' Tip or Roll n' Roll IS the way to go. OH just for Yacht Doctor's benefit, There is Always Gel Coating. That's whats on the boat NOW. It is NOT paint. It IS GelCoat. BUT... you DID ask about Painting.;)

lifeboat

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys , you all are so good at helping us DIY's. I couldn't keep this old boat going with out ya. I have done some repairs to my 14' 1973Dixie fiberglass open fishing boat. The hull had to be ground thruogh the paint down to the f/glass for the repairs. Now I need to do some spot painting. But whatever is in this thing is whte and very thick and very rough. It also is original and I would like to keep it that way. I have no idea what or where to shop for. Is there any of you that knows what was put in this type of boat and where to get it. Thanks

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Boats are not painted from the factory they are gelcoated. What you ground through was the gelcoat. To put it back teh way it was you need a gelcoat repair kit with the different tints to color match it since gelcoat comes in white base only and is tinted to match unless its custom ordered.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LifeBoat this thread is over a year and a half old. Forum rules state that only the OP can post to a thread older than 3 months. You should start your own thread and you'll get plenty of help. 73Chrysler is correct that it's not paint it's gelcoat. When you post your own thread supply a lot of pics and you'll get Great feedback.