• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Adding Floor to 14' V-Hull Row Boat... Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Floor to 14' V-Hull Row Boat... Suggestions?

I am planning on making some modifications to my Row Boat. I have a 14' deep-v (maybe semi-v) row boat. Not sure of the make but it is aluminum and was made in 1963. It is solid and in good shape other than being in need of a paint job.

I am interested in adding floors to it. I know one option is dropping plywood over the seats. I would rather not go this route as the 'floor' would be rather high. I have also heard of people completely removing the seats to install a floor. I would also rather not do this for the sake of integrity. I heard somewhere once that if the seats are attached to the sides you can remove them, but not if too the floor. My seats are attached to both the sides and the floor.

What I am planing on doing is cutting a large notch out of the the 2 rear seats. I have attached a drawing of what I mean. The shaded area is what I am going to remove. In my mind this would retain structural integrity and also lower the floor level for center of gravity. I realize that the seats have foam for floatation so I will reuse that foam under the floor i install.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Re: Adding Floor to 14' V-Hull Row Boat... Suggestions?

Why not rivet some aluminum angle to the seat supports to act as supports for the decking?
    1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
    Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
    Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
      Why not rivet some aluminum angle to the seat supports to act as supports for the decking?
      This is certainly an option, but this would create 2 floor sections with the original seats poking through a few inches higher. i am going for that bass boat look and feel with a continuous floor, if you know what I mean. I found a picture of what I had in mind. Ill attach it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Based on your boat configuration and construction, I do not think you will be able to acheive that look.
        1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
        Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
        Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Ayuh,...'n remember, every pound of wood, 'n junk you put in it,...
          Is a pound you can no longer take boatin' with ya....

It won't take much, 'n it'll be Overloaded before ya even step into it...
          Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Working...
          X