epoxy resin for pontoon deck?

d4ster3

Recruit
hey guys, newbie here, cant seem to find a straight answer... im redecking a 28ft playbuoy pontoon. after reading through pages of threads I think ive decided to use treated plywood instead of marine plywood. only thing I cant seem to find is which epoxy resin to use and where to buy it. or is there something else I should use to seal it? thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: epoxy resin for pontoon deck?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

I hear PT plywood reacts with aluminum in a Bad way...
And,...
Epoxy is probably overkill, 'n Overly Expensive for what your doin'...
I'd recommend goin' with Polyester resin, 'n glass mat for waterproofin' it...

d4ster3

Recruit

so dont use treated plywood? use marine?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, you can use Marine, but it is VERY expensive. Most guys on here use Regular Ext. Grade Ply. It uses the Same glue as Marine grade. Only diff is it has some VOIDs in the ply's. I'd recommend using polyester resin and use 1.5 oz mat on the underside then another 1.5 oz mat on the top side then finish it off with a layer of 1708 Biax cloth. I think the BEST place to get your materials is here...

www.uscomposites.com

I'd use the 435 resin. Buy the PUMPS. Get a Bubble roller. Pay close attention to sealing the edges of the plywood. Seal any and all HOLES that you put in the wood. Buy some wax for the final layer. Use Safety Equipment i.e. Respirator Tyvek suit, goggles, gloves etc... Do dry lay ups first. Get a friend to help. Drink Beer. Have fun.

Use this to help you figure out how much you'll need

http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/the-68/Fiberglass-Information,-and-How/Detail

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Another case of over thinking things...

Whatever wood you will use for your toon deck ( PT,MG or EX ) will be sealed..so I dont know where the contact of said wood would be on your alum frame.

And your going to set your prepped plys on some kind of sealant right ? ( IE. PL or 3m 4000 ) right ?.. so contact will be at a minimum...

So now you have your prepped ply...and dryfit screwd to your frame...now you pick that up and clean up all that screw hole shavings and such ( unless your thinking you can just prep the ply and direct screw/predrill and glue all at one time lol ) ..

So now you have predrilled prepped ply..then lay down your PL or 3m 4000 ( or whatever ) .. lay that down and screw and glue your ply..

Now for the top ( It should have been allready precoated with resin ( waxed or unwaxed it does not matter because your going to have to scuff it again before your glass ) .. scuff and then wet out a layer or 2 of 1.5 oz mat. ( you can do the 1.5 oz mat and then a layer of 1708 if you want it Beef ). You will NOT need a bubble roller because you cant roll out 2 layers of mat..or even 1 layer of 1708 with mat. You will use a large Plastic Spreader to work out your bubbles and such..Then apply your carpet adhesive and carpet. ..

Just get a box of powdered latex gloves from the get go :) . rip them off whenever needed...

YD.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

YD is right on, I just watched "How It's Made" on pontoon boats, last week and they use PT for the deck, they laid down rubber strips on the aluminum frame work and screwed it down, covered the PT with ONE layer of Matt and resin and laid the carpet ( after it cured, of course).

d4ster3

Recruit

alright so i need:

ext grade plywood
1.5 oz fiberglass mat
polyester resin
sealant

correct?

how much fiberglass mat is needed for a 28 ft pontoon?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

YD is right on, I just watched "How It's Made" on pontoon boats, last week and they use PT for the deck, they laid down rubber strips on the aluminum frame work and screwed it down, covered the PT with ONE layer of Matt and resin and laid the carpet ( after it cured, of course).

I think boat builders can still get the old kind of PT. I would not install the PT you and I can buy at Lowes anywhere near an aluminum boat.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can assure you that the top pontoon builder in the country does NOT use pressure treated lumber and they don't use ANY resin or glass.

DO NOT COAT IN ANYTHING. Use MARINE ply.

I've laid plenty of those floors years ago, and I worked for Bennington Marine for 10 years...

Glass will only hold water in. Because it WILL get in. Just won't get out.

alright so i need:

ext grade plywood
1.5 oz fiberglass mat
polyester resin
sealant

correct?

how much fiberglass mat is needed for a 28 ft pontoon?

NO.
See my post above.

Another case of over thinking things...

Whatever wood you will use for your toon deck ( PT,MG or EX ) will be sealed..so I dont know where the contact of said wood would be on your alum frame.

And your going to set your prepped plys on some kind of sealant right ? ( IE. PL or 3m 4000 ) right ?.. so contact will be at a minimum...

So now you have your prepped ply...and dryfit screwd to your frame...now you pick that up and clean up all that screw hole shavings and such ( unless your thinking you can just prep the ply and direct screw/predrill and glue all at one time lol ) ..

So now you have predrilled prepped ply..then lay down your PL or 3m 4000 ( or whatever ) .. lay that down and screw and glue your ply..

Now for the top ( It should have been allready precoated with resin ( waxed or unwaxed it does not matter because your going to have to scuff it again before your glass ) .. scuff and then wet out a layer or 2 of 1.5 oz mat. ( you can do the 1.5 oz mat and then a layer of 1708 if you want it Beef ). You will NOT need a bubble roller because you cant roll out 2 layers of mat..or even 1 layer of 1708 with mat. You will use a large Plastic Spreader to work out your bubbles and such..Then apply your carpet adhesive and carpet. ..

Just get a box of powdered latex gloves from the get go :) . rip them off whenever needed...

YD.

Pontoon decks last a LONG, LONG time, and everything that manufacturers do is nothing like what you described.

d4ster3

Recruit

haha now im more confused than when i started! so LonLB, youre saying use MARINE plywood with nothing else on it???

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

haha now im more confused than when i started! so LonLB, youre saying use MARINE plywood with nothing else on it???

Yes absolutely. I haven't seen a pontoon deck yet, not last 20 years. Some longer.
In fact, I've yet to see a fiberglass boat with glassed in stringers and transom, have it's wood outlast a pontoon deck.

Manufacturers use Marine plywood, a foam tape/sealant, and that is it. No resin, no glass, no sealant (other than the tape)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

So basically clean off the frame..put some weather strip on the frame..slap down some MG ply screw it down and carpet ?

This is on a 28 footer right ?..thats like 7 sheets of ply ? roughly 700-900 bucks just in wood ? ( thats 3/4 " MG ).

Then again..28'x( Im assuming 10ish' wide ) coated with 1708 and resin would add up quick :) .. but I would just mat it.

YD.

d4ster3

Recruit

so the man who says he laid floors for Bennington says that fiberglass will hold water in.... thoughts?