Floor replacement Bayliner Capri

bryanflood

Cadet
Last year I bought a Bayliner Capri with a somewhat soft floor and bad interior for cheap. I used it all last year ans now I am replacing the floor for the coming season. I want this to be as quick of a project as possible. I'm not removing the stringers, I did dig out all the foam althoug only about 1/4" on the bottom was actually wet. Most foam was in good shape. I spent 4 hours each day this weekend gutting the inside. I will post more as I progress through this project.

My technique so far has been:

1. Circular saw to rough cut the floor out.
2. Saws-all to get the old seat bases out
3. Angle grinder to get rid of the epoxy lip left by the old ply wood
4. Use a small crow bar and scraper to get the foam

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor replacement Bayliner Capri

Have you checked your stringers and Transom to ensure they have not begun to rot? If so, what was your method? If NOT, WHY NOT! If they are Wet they will NOT dry out, but only continue to rot and in 2 or three years your boat will be UNSAFE to operate and UNSELLABLE! Since you have the deck out, you should consider CHECKING EVERYTHING and then doing it RIGHT. BUT that is just MY OPINION:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You are on the right track ;) Foam removal is fun isn't it :D Probably the fastest repair will be to plan to utilize 2 part foam (2 lb density is fine). Yes keep us up to date. Be sure to check out the rest of the stringer's and transom while you are in this deep.

Are you in an area (or indoor's with heat) that will permit you to do the fiberglass work?

Keep up the good work. :)

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

bf, I agree, You really should do a good check on the stringers and transom while your their. You'll kick yourself in the butt 3 years from now if you don't.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I'm preparing to do the same project as soon as weather permits. I also hope that stringers & transom are dry, but doubt it. I do have a few questions for you (just curious), What year & size boat is it? Is it I/O or O/B? Is that the fuel tank I see under the deck in the middle, in the picture's? I only ask because I want to install a factory under deck tank while the deck is out.

bryanflood

Cadet

I'm preparing to do the same project as soon as weather permits. I also hope that stringers & transom are dry, but doubt it. I do have a few questions for you (just curious), What year & size boat is it? Is it I/O or O/B? Is that the fuel tank I see under the deck in the middle, in the picture's? I only ask because I want to install a factory under deck tank while the deck is out.

It's a 1986? with an 85 h.p. outboard if I remember the year right (I know I am within a year or two). Anyway that it the fuel tank you see under the deck. There is a bunch of extra fiberglass and epoxy draped all over the tank, so it will have to be cut out.

rickryder

Commander

I also bought a cheap 1987 boat with a few soft areas in the deck and in need of an interior...... feel free to check out my resto thread to see what you might find in your stringers....:facepalm:

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Bryan, I sent you a few PM's, but I'll ask here as well. When you get the tank out could you measure it & give me the dimensions? I've been looking for factory replacement online, but it's so damn old I don't think I'll find one so I'll have to go with an aftermarket tank & want to stay as close to factory spec's as possible for weight & balance. Thanks.

bryanflood

Cadet

Sorry,

I got side tracked big time from the boat project, I will measure the tank this weekend! Really sorry it's been a month...

Bryan

bryanflood

Cadet

All,

My fuel tank is 42 inches long, 22-1/4 inches wide and 7 inches deep.

Bryan

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

i went to the fuel tanks here on iboats and matched up my tank dimentions to find out the gallon cap. it has.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bryan, were you able to get your tank out with no problem? I have an '87 capri cuddy with outboard and I can't seem to get the tank out. I siphoned all the fuel but still can't get it out. Any tips?

Jonnyp8689

Recruit
Hi guys I'm new to the boating world. I bought an 1985 bayliner force 85 recently and found out the floor is shot and is rotted out. I just wanna know how to replace the floor myself and a step by step process on how to do it. It's a 15ft. If anyone can help me please contact me