1996 Larson SEI 174 restoration... Pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickensj

Recruit
Newbie here. I bought my Larson for $325 and a $25 gift card to Target. I have read a ton of posts and they have been very helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Stringers-Replacing. Motor-Runs great. Transom-solid. Trailer-perfect. Wiring diagrams-got em'.

The one thing I just can't get my hands on are pictures of the engine cover and how it is supposed to look. I have to build the rear seating and have a Larson engine cover that doesn't seem to 'fit up'. I have the padded piece that sits on top but I have to assume it is bolted into somewhere. I have no clue. I have seen pics of similar Larson 174's but no close-ups. I will provide pictures but ultimately was looking for some ideas/pics from the group.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 355.jpg
    Picture 355.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture 334.jpg
    Picture 334.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Larson SEI 174 restoration... Pics?

hi...welcome to i boats :)

to get true ideas on the factory installation....go to larson and look up older sales brochures....you will see pics there.

in the mean time...take more pics of the boat....post them here and we can guide you.

cheers
oops

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

UHMMMM You're replacing the stringers and say the transom is good. What kind of testing have you done to give you the confidence that the transom is 100 % ready to go. Just curious

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

How about pictures of the interior? And do you mean the dog house or the cover along the transom?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You will find that putting a new doghouse in is a bit outdated and hard to do. Ok gotta think out of the box a bit....Building a sun deck is sooo dam easy and attractive and cost effective...It takes one vertical sheet up and down in front of the engine....one sheet to lay flat for the deck....Now you build a seat 12" off the floor little foam...very basic vinyl and your done opps a few hinges

/
/
/
/
/
/
/

pickensj

Recruit

Oops: Will do. I will look them up tonight. Thanks!

Woodonglass: I had a old school boat guy come take a look at it. After some picking around he said that it was solid. Is there something additional that I need to do? Any help would be appreciated.

Tschmidty: I am pretty sure I am referring to the 'dog house'. See attached pics.

Tail_Gunner: I was thinking of that very thing! It kills floor space from the looks of it but I think it looks better, hands down. I have the double seats for passenger/driver so I think I would have to buy new seats for the front so there would be room. I will look into this again.

Here are the pics. There are what looks like exhaust holes on each side of the rear. I find it hard to belive that the long piece that is laying across the top is 'stock'. Clearly it has been re-covered but I don't know if it came that way off of the showroom floor. Thanks all. I appreciate the prompt feedback!

Attachments

• Rear 3.jpg
    Rear 3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Rear 2.jpg
    Rear 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Rear 5.jpg
    Rear 5.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Rear 1.JPG
    Rear 1.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 2

oops!

Supreme Mariner

same style as the 90 bayliner capris.....

that back piece folds up to acess the transom area.

if you sunpad it you loose the jumper seats......but only you know how many people will be in the boat......the 2 rear jumpers are rarely used as the passengers prefer to sit in the bow or behind the windsheild.......the 2 rears are really windy

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Sometimes I like the windy rear seats! Also the least bounce so you don't spill your drink. But I am switching to a bench as well. If you have back to backs it is more expensive since you need to get helm chairs for the two sides, or build a bench up the port side.

There are definitely pluses to a bench, if you have kids they can sit next to a parent and not in a lap, you can put your arm around your girl, you get a place to lay down, and you get the storage underneath.

Nice little boat though, I like the lines on that.

pickensj

Recruit

Thanks for the advice guys. I made a few changes in my thinking on seating. I have unfortunately have found some transom rot. Most of the transom repairs I have seen are done so by removing the motor. I have included two pics of my new challenge.

The port side of the transom is solid. After doing more agressive picking I have found that there is a small portion of the starboard side that has rot. I assume the answer I may get is 'replace it all and pull the motor'. I HOPE that someone will say 'you can cut out the bad, replace, re-epoxy/fill, etc... and you are good to go'. Or some other solution other than removing the motor. I just don't have the tools/equipment to get that done. That also blows my budget out of the water....

Whatever the case, ya'll have been spot-on so far so any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• TR5.jpg
    TR5.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
  • TR4.jpg
    TR4.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2

Membreno

Recruit
Newbie here. I bought my Larson for $325 and a $25 gift card to Target. I have read a ton of posts and they have been very helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Stringers-Replacing. Motor-Runs great. Transom-solid. Trailer-perfect. Wiring diagrams-got em'.

The one thing I just can't get my hands on are pictures of the engine cover and how it is supposed to look. I have to build the rear seating and have a Larson engine cover that doesn't seem to 'fit up'. I have the padded piece that sits on top but I have to assume it is bolted into somewhere. I have no clue. I have seen pics of similar Larson 174's but no close-ups. I will provide pictures but ultimately was looking for some ideas/pics from the group.

Thanks!

i know this a 6 yer old post, but did you finish your restoration? im restoring a 1995 larson sei 174... do you have pics?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi Membreno, forum rules are to not revive threads older than 3 mos. pickensj has not logged in since 2012, so I don't think he'll be responding.

I restored a '97 Larson sei 186. Check out the link in my signature, and start your own thread if you want to ask questions.

Welcome to iboats!

jbcurt00

Staff member
i know this a 6 year old post, but did you finish your restoration? im restoring a 1995 larson sei 174... do you have pics?

Topic closed

not likely to get a response, 6yrs later, hence the 90day guideline....

Start a topic about your Larson, and post pix of yours

Status
Not open for further replies.