Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miken302

Recruit
Hi all...I purchased a boat with a gouge in the hull. Looks like the previous owner hit the trailer when loading.

Can I get away with marinetex or should I fill it ? I took a pocket knife and pushed in on the fiberglass and its solid no holes. Its on the bottom and I plan to paint the bottom so I don't need it to look pretty.

The gouge is about 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 wide.

see attached.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

Width and length don't have a huge affect on the answer, depth does, and this looks like an air bubble left from the original building of the boat. When it came in contact with something hard it broke through the gel coat and exposed the bubble. If that's the case it can be filled with epoxy putty and then sanded smooth. The pic is a little blurry so its hard to tell.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like 3M's Premium Marine Filler compared to Marine Tex personally. It's easier to work with IMO.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like 3M's Premium Marine Filler compared to Marine Tex personally. It's easier to work with IMO.

I'm about to try to repair a similar defect with 3M Premium Marine Filler. I found this thread while debating using Marine Tex. Happy I did. Good call. I have a new tub of it (3m).

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Width and length don't have a huge affect on the answer, depth does, and this looks like an air bubble left from the original building of the boat. When it came in contact with something hard it broke through the gel coat and exposed the bubble. If that's the case it can be filled with epoxy putty and then sanded smooth. The pic is a little blurry so its hard to tell.

Yup .. Depth of it will dictate your repair ..

You only need poly .. not epoxy ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Guys this thread is over 2 yrs old. The OP originally asked if Marinetex could be used. Answer was/is yes, but as YD points out Poly would work as well.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's all good. The thread may be old, but the subject is still prominent, and the advice is still valid. I did my repair with 3M Marine Filler and it worked out great! =)

Guys this thread is over 2 yrs old. The OP originally asked if Marinetex could be used. Answer was/is yes, but as YD points out Poly would work as well.

Bondo

Staff member

It's all good. The thread may be old, but the subject is still prominent, and the advice is still valid. I did my repair with 3M Marine Filler and it worked out great! =)

Ayuh,... I guess you didn't read forum rule #12,..??.....:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.