• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

    Hi all...I purchased a boat with a gouge in the hull. Looks like the previous owner hit the trailer when loading.

    Can I get away with marinetex or should I fill it ? I took a pocket knife and pushed in on the fiberglass and its solid no holes. Its on the bottom and I plan to paint the bottom so I don't need it to look pretty.

    The gouge is about 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 wide.

    see attached.




  • #2
    Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

    Width and length don't have a huge affect on the answer, depth does, and this looks like an air bubble left from the original building of the boat. When it came in contact with something hard it broke through the gel coat and exposed the bubble. If that's the case it can be filled with epoxy putty and then sanded smooth. The pic is a little blurry so its hard to tell.

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

      I like 3M's Premium Marine Filler compared to Marine Tex personally. It's easier to work with IMO.
      1964 Arkansas Traveler w/ 1966 Merc 650, 65 HP - In Restoration
      1966 Mercury 650 Resto

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

        Originally posted by Psiclown View Post
        I like 3M's Premium Marine Filler compared to Marine Tex personally. It's easier to work with IMO.
        I'm about to try to repair a similar defect with 3M Premium Marine Filler. I found this thread while debating using Marine Tex. Happy I did. Good call. I have a new tub of it (3m).

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

          Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
          Width and length don't have a huge affect on the answer, depth does, and this looks like an air bubble left from the original building of the boat. When it came in contact with something hard it broke through the gel coat and exposed the bubble. If that's the case it can be filled with epoxy putty and then sanded smooth. The pic is a little blurry so its hard to tell.
          Yup .. Depth of it will dictate your repair ..

          You only need poly .. not epoxy ..

          YD.
          Iboats Helper

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

            Guys this thread is over 2 yrs old. The OP originally asked if Marinetex could be used. Answer was/is yes, but as YD points out Poly would work as well.
            1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
            Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
            Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

              It's all good. The thread may be old, but the subject is still prominent, and the advice is still valid. I did my repair with 3M Marine Filler and it worked out great! =)

              Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
              Guys this thread is over 2 yrs old. The OP originally asked if Marinetex could be used. Answer was/is yes, but as YD points out Poly would work as well.

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: Hull gouge...marinetex or fiberglass repair?

                Originally posted by cerenzio View Post
                It's all good. The thread may be old, but the subject is still prominent, and the advice is still valid. I did my repair with 3M Marine Filler and it worked out great! =)
                Ayuh,... I guess you didn't read forum rule #12,..??.....
                Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

                Comment

                Working...
                X