• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Method and associated cost for stringer and deck repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Method and associated cost for stringer and deck repair

hello all

Just curious of those of you who have replaced your stringers and your decks what materials you used as well as associated costs and and also what size boat

Im not looking for an explanation as how you did your project. just what you used whether it be wood with either epoxy or poly resin/ or foam/ or seacast. what kind of cloth did u lay over the stringer and the total cost of the project. also amount of time. include any special tools u needed, or if you altered the standard method for installing any of the above listed.

and what you would do differently if you had to do it again?
    1988 Wellcraft 170 classic
    1985 140 3.0L mercruiser
    alpha 1 gen 1
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php? I NEED HELP!!! any is better than none

Re: Method and associated cost for stringer and deck repair

I'll let you know soon.

I am doing my floor in polyester resin (I ordered 5 gals at $125) and exterior plywood, with CSM ($40). I figured 15 yards of fabric, 2 gallons of resin, and 2 sheets of ply for my 18ft boat. Add another $200 for carpet and adhesive and that totals $380 or so for the floor. We will see how that pans out.

If I need to replace my stringers, I will laminate over rigid foam stringers with epoxy and fabric. Epoxy is more expensive, but you can do a pretty dry layup with epoxy and fabric, while I've noticed that most jobs using CSM the resin is glopped on pretty heavily.

I figure stringers would cost me:

$40 for 2lb/c.f. foam
    $20 for hotwire saw (if I needed to make one)
    $220 for biaxial fabric
    $10 in microballoons to fill the foam before application of layup
    $30 for a structural filler like milled glas fibers or flocked cotton
    $60 for a gallon of epoxy
    ---------
    $380 for the stringers

Comment

Originally posted by Rellik546 View Post
      hello all

Just curious of those of you who have replaced your stringers and your decks what materials you used as well as associated costs and and also what size boat

Im not looking for an explanation as how you did your project. just what you used whether it be wood with either epoxy or poly resin/ or foam/ or seacast. what kind of cloth did u lay over the stringer and the total cost of the project. also amount of time. include any special tools u needed, or if you altered the standard method for installing any of the above listed.

lol....

welcome to the wonderful world of the "dry dock"
      the questions you asked take more than a book or two to answer.
      the best bet is to read ...read...read.
      start in the completed projects forum....(i dont care what kind of boat you have, most are all built the same way...)
      also for all detailes about everything......read the thread in my link....it is the most comphrensive thread on the site and has every answer you need.

after a little reading....you can decide what is best for your situation and or boat and budget.

count on 100 hours for the stringer replacement and 80 for the deck for a first timer.

cost.....2k. then go up from thare....if you use epoxy.....double it.

good luck....take pics....and post here

cheers
      oops
      The Hull Extension Thread
      great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
      November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Very interesting...... I was just having a similar discussion with some iboater's by phone about costs.

There are people here who do this as a profession and their customer's demand the job be done the right way. Then there are people who just want to get on the water and their wallet will not support their dreams. We have the entire spectrum here.

I will not point to any specific subject or area but there are many varied costs.

Item by item you can feel free to ask opinions......... I will tell you that stainless steel hardware will be your friend Nothing in rebuilding is cheap when you DIY except the labor!!

oops! Wow what a great term for the restoration section "dry dock"

Some people would never dream of using anything but marine plywood however, there are other accepted types of wood/products.

I do know poly resin is cheaper then epoxy and if you have a regular fiberglass boat, yes it is the cheaper method.
        This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
        Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

hello all

Did you have a particular project in mind ?

1.5 oz mat
          1708 and or woving roving
          Polyester
          MG ply
          Cabosil

Special tools .. made a lot of those . Basic grinders/cuttoffs/air tools ( Biggest one is a full face resporator ).

What I would do differently ? Learn from every minute and adapt tools/product knowledge .. and get paid more .

YD.
          Iboats Helper

Comment

Well I have a 1988 wellcraft. At first like many people it started with a a couple small soft spots. I pulled the carpet and the floor today, I took many pictures. Currently on my iPhone now tho. I'll post later. My deck was aweful, is it bad if u can remove the entire deck by hand with help of a pry bar to get my fingers under it? Haha. Anyways. This boat is gonna get lots of use, wakeboard tower and at 6 to 8 people all the time.

None of the stringers are glassed in. There is a bunch of pour foam/expand foam that I'm going to remove to furth check the stringers. In all honesty. I'm just going to replace them anyways. I want the hull/stringers/deck to be strong. I'm talking a full boat ripping through waves with tubers. Without worrying I'm gonna rupture the hull. (I mean this with in reason. Normally I slingshot the tube into the oncoming wave and miss hitting it with the boat) nonetheless I want it stong. The stringers are seperate pieces. Only 2 run the length of the boat but separate strings run the bilge area that are a bit wider. I'll attach pics

I'm willing to spend a 1,000 to do the deck and stringers. What materials would u use? And what would it cost? I'll try to attach pics asap. And I'm only looking for ballpark prices/what would be the best strength for the money.

[IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            1985 140 3.0L mercruiser
            alpha 1 gen 1

Comment

you didnt say what size the boat was...but looking at your avatar its about 18 feet.

a grand is really on the cheap side of it....it can be done....but buying supplies is where it will make or break the deal....but seriously...count on 2k.

poly resin....250 10 gals
              acetone 70 bux 5 gals
              mekp and cabosil ect....60
              glass 150-300
              wood...300
              foam 250
              carpet...200.
              glue...50
              tools and grinding discs. 100
              safety stuff....100.

that is the minimum.
              you may have some tools.....but the discs ...paint rollers, resin rollers....mixing buckets,,,,it all adds up.

buy the way....hows the transom....if the strings are rot...it may have got the transom.

read the completed projects forum skanky beast and red furys thread.
              for details...check out the thread on my sig.....it has everything you want to know...

we are with ya....its a lot of work....but a lot of fun.
              imho...its worth it

cheers
              oops

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

oh .....by the way....the clamp holding your alternator in place....is a break down waiting to happen

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Thanks oops. i already ordered the new alternator bracket....but that custom bracket has a special look that only a DIYer that owned it before me can appreciate. haha.

The boat is a 17' with two full length stringers that stagger/ they are technically seperate but they are mounted together. if you see the pic by the motor u can see where the one that runs to the bow ends, and the one from the beginning of the motor bulkhead begins and ends at transom. then there are 2 side stringers that run to the front of the consoles. however the stringers are only 1" think and they are not glassed, in the pictures they look wider, but its as if someone mounted would to the side of them, as they are only 2x2s. is the foam from the factory? or has someone else replaced the floor/ tried to cover up the fact the floor was rotted so they could sell it?

i bought the boat thinking i was going to need to replace the floor/stringers/transom.

thanks for the estimate... im really looking for strength. different threads glass their stingers differently.

I know very little about fiberglassing but am willing to tackle it. im aware that epoxy is stronger and bonds better to wood. im also aware that marine ply wood has no voids and uses an outdoor rated adhesive. most people use it for there transoms and get away with using CDX or outdoor rated play laminated 2 think as their stingers.

where my stringers are only 1" thick. should i just get a few sheets of 1/2" ply then bond 2 pieces together for each stringer, and then use the remaining 1/2" as my deck as that was what the original deck was.

i was thinking of using cloth, not mat or cgm. as it is the strongest and using 3 layers all 2" wider on each side to bond to the hull. after tabbing the stringer in place of coarse. i want to use all epoxy resin for this step to ensure it is strong and never have to replace it for as long as i own it

is it safe to get away with using cdx? or outdoor ply with poly resin to seal it with some mat then the last layer cloth?

i only plan on removing one stringer at a time, as the boat sits on a bunk trailer and i dont want the hull to sag. i believe im going to remove that cap and replace the entire boats deck and stringers even tho everything under the bow cap looks good.
                  1985 140 3.0L mercruiser
                  alpha 1 gen 1

Comment

still looking to see what other people did for their stingers/deck. any creative or alternative ideas and prices.

im thinking about putting snap in carpet in mine, if any carpet at all
                    1985 140 3.0L mercruiser
                    alpha 1 gen 1

Comment

Originally posted by oops! View Post
                      oh .....by the way....the clamp holding your alternator in place....is a break down waiting to happen
                      Just make sure it's a geniune Merc, marine grade clamp.....
                      A good brand of engine is one that runs

Comment

And the $2K is a much closer cost estimate than $1K.
                        A good brand of engine is one that runs

Comment

i am looking at epoxy resins and noticed there is a huge price difference...ive heard good things about west marine and aeromarine but aeromarine i can get much cheaper.

What are the best brands, i know brands can really just boil down to paying for a name. but at the same time id imagine that some are truley better than others. or diluted down with thinners.
                          1985 140 3.0L mercruiser
                          alpha 1 gen 1

Comment

take a really good look at using epoxy....you only have a 17 footer.....not a 35 scarab with triple 300 horse mercs.

ploy is far stronger than you will ever need

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

still looking to see what other people did for their stingers/deck. any creative or alternative ideas and prices.

im thinking about putting snap in carpet in mine, if any carpet at all
                              Check out Mick's stringer replacement. Awesome. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....light=mick%27s
                              1964 Arkansas Traveler w/ 1966 Merc 650, 65 HP - In Restoration
                              1966 Mercury 650 Resto

Comment

Working...
                              X