1987 Astroglass 195 v Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

justcatchin

Cadet
I purchased a new to me boat this summer and it did not take long to discover that the previous owner told me a few white lies about my boat. I really like the boat so; I have begun my restoration project.
Here she is.
IMG_20100821_072937.jpg

I have the top cap about ready to remove and have a couple questions. First, the drain holes in the well at the stern of the boat that pass thru the transom, do I just get them out and replace with new?
Here is the drain hole.
th_IMG_20110212_191958.jpg

Second, I am having trouble breaking the seal at the transom. I bought an oscillating tool that has been awesome but, it will not reach where I need to get. I am afraid i will crack the fiberglass if I use a chisel thru the seam at the transom. Is there a best way to get this separated?
This pic shows where I have cut from the inside.
IMG_20110212_192055.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help. I will try to get some pics of the projest so far tomorrow.

drewpster

Commander
Re: 1987 Astroglass 195 v Restore

Those drains are common, yes you can replace them with new. Is the blade on your cutting tool long enough? If not you can get a sawzall (reciprocating saw) with a longer blade. Just be careful and go slow, they can be hard to control a straight line.

justcatchin

Cadet

Thanks drewpstr, I think I can get thru but, I need a new blade that is not dull! I don't want to use a sawzall if I don't have to as they do gat a little wild at times.

justcatchin

Cadet

Ok I got the lid off this afternoon. Then I removed what was left of the deck and moved the debris to the bow for removal tomorrow. Here are a few pics of the progress

th_IMG_20110226_191633.jpg

Here is the transom showing the drain holes. What is the rectangle on the hull about 1 foot from the transom?
th_IMG_20110226_191606.jpg

Here is a shot of the rotten stringers. Kind of hard to see.
th_IMG_20110226_191704.jpg

On thing I did not get a pic of was how the stringers are currently glassed. It looks like they are barely attached to the hull, the contact point at the hull looks like an hour glass. Guess I thought it would be sloped? Does this sound normal or do I need to get a pic?
Thanks for the help...jc

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

It's very normal, the stringer has a gap between it and the hull, the hour glass shape is from the fiberglass bridging the gap and sinking in on each side.

justcatchin

Cadet

Thanks Cadwelder. How about the rectangle near the transom?

dragonquest

Recruit
Hello I was wondering if you still have this boat? if you do could you post some up close pictures of the ladder and how it is mounted? I have recently bought a 1988 Astroglass 178v and there are holes in the boat for the ladder but the ladder itself is gone. I want to replace it using the same holes if possible. Thank you.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed

Its been nearly 3yrs since JustCatchin even visited the forum, you're not likely to get a reply..

Please note the date of posts, and after 90days w no activity, generally its better to treat the inactive topics as references only, not to be written to.

Status
Not open for further replies.