87 Four Winns 210 Horizon resto

rickryder

Commander
OK here we go! This is our resto project boat that we picked up for $800 :D The boat has 620 hours on it and the motor and outdrive was replaced @ 500 hours. Motor is a 97 350 Mag Alpha.

mkhbnd.jpg

Last edited:

rickryder

Commander
Re: 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon resto

First we gutted out all the bad interior and ripped out the rotten deck area and stringers and bulk heads.... this is whats left....so begins the rebuild.

The weather in NJ
25aq7iq.jpg

pics of gutted stringers,bulks and foam

1owy9e.jpg

n4yxyu.jpg

2i7r2ao.jpg

Now comes the task of cutting out stringers and bulks and fitting them in place....making splice blocks. That will be next weekends project. ;)

Last edited:

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Four Winns made a awsome boat back in the day eh? Gotta love the teak

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I hear ya on the weather. I'm in Jersey and haven't been able to touch my boat since December. I'm hoping we start hitting the 40's soon so I can get back on it.

That's a great boat you have there, and it sounds like you're motivated to get it ready to hit the water this summer. Good luck with the rebuild.

rickryder

Commander

Thanks guys! I have been waiting for some better weather but the snow keeps falling! We have her tarped in well with a yard tent frame and some heavy duty tarps....it has plenty of room to work! The tube heater kills ya from the fumes so were getting an infrared one instead. We have a bunch on grinding and fitting to do and I hope to see some better weather so the glass work can be done :) The teak has been removed and the little woman said she would like to refinish it! Great one less thing for me to do!!

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I had my Horizon for a week before I figured out that those 2 holes in the back was where the top went:facepalm: I need to redo my teak also, been thinking of trying some that teak stuff from west marine...

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I don't remember what it was I saw...teaknu or something... They sell like 8 different things to doll the stuff up with @ west marine... Once on the water mine looks good:D, but will make a project of it this year if something else on the ol barge doesn't puke first... Seems like it is always something, with every boat I have owned.. Ya got to love it

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice looking project, what kind of shape is the transom in?

rickryder

Commander

Transom is solid! Thats one area I don't want to rip into :) The stringer that ran back to the transom on the port side was rotted to the bulk head but I figured I would remove all of it and start fresh.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Nice rig and good price in my opinion and will be even nicer when done. Are gonna replace the foam? and has anyone ever considered using an insulation company that spays foam insulation as a replacement? if it was closed cell I would imagine thiey could almost fill the cavities perfectly without guessing. Anyhow good luck

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

When I did mine I use the 2 lb 2 part foam as per what FW told me, when I e-mailed them during the rebuild. The easiest way is to pour the foam before the new deck is put in, I would not try doing it after the deck is in even with holes to let out the excess. I poured the foam, let it cure, then cut off the excess even with the top of the stringers.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I used the pour foam after I put the deck in place (one section at a time, deck foam, deck foam) and didn't have any problems. Its finicky stuff, and starts expanding immediately.....good planning is the key. You must have releif holes, if you don't it could damage your hull.

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice Project
I like to mix the foam 2 pts at a time

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Never done it but I read about it in the resto posts constantly I just thought that the guys do it daily in open cavities and when I have seen them do it they have thier process down and can shoot just the right amount in a cavity with very little overflow plus I would think the tme factor would be of use let alone the possible cost. Just a thought.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You have to follow the instructions as far as the outside temp when pouring, if its too cold out it won't expand as much as it is supposed to. I did it on a 70 degree day in Oct and it expanded quite a bit, so much so that I was glad I put it in BEFORE laying down the new deck, that's why I gave the above advice....
It's easy to cut it off level with the stringers...

Attachments

• foam in.jpg
    foam in.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
  • tank mounting.jpg
    tank mounting.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2

rickryder

Commander

Nice rig and good price in my opinion and will be even nicer when done. Are gonna replace the foam? and has anyone ever considered using an insulation company that spays foam insulation as a replacement? if it was closed cell I would imagine thiey could almost fill the cavities perfectly without guessing. Anyhow good luck

Thanks! I thought it was a great deal new motor and outdrive, trailer and boat... for that price I could sell the trailer and be ahead of the game :D

Foam will be going back in....the blue stuff since we have a bunch left over fron a construction project :)

rickryder

Commander

If anyone sees something in the pictures that can be a big issue please bring it to my attention since this is my first rebuild. Thanks!

rickryder

Commander

I have a question about the fuel tank area... Should that be glassed in with no drain to the bilge? I guess my line of thinking is that if I get a fuel leak I really don't want fuel leaking back into the engine compartment... Am I on the right track with that?