Awlgrip on Teak?

sasto

Captain
Several of the large boat/yacht owners around here have started using clear awlgrip over exterior teak and other wood trim such as toe rails, swimplatforms, deck chairs, you name it. It even makes unsanded grey teak look good Most are getting older and are tired of refinishing their bright work on a regular basis.

Has anybody seen the long term effects or have opinions about this method?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Awlgrip on Teak?

We have used awlgrip clear for Inside..but Ive never seen it for outside..

Im kinda curious myself :) .

YD.

fishrdan

Admiral

How were they finishing the teak before, light sanding and oiling? That's how I've seen it done before but teak is not too common out here.

Here's my $.02

Once the Awlgrip fails it's going to be a real Pain (ITA) to refinish, have to chemically strip it down to bare wood, then sand and refinish. It really depends on how long the Awlgrip will last if it would be worth the hassle later down the road. If they can get 5 years out of the Awlgrip, that might be worth it.

Teak is a very oily wood and you have to take special precautions if clear coating (or gluing) it. You have to clean the surface with solvent to remove the oils, then clear coat. Forget to remove the oil and the clear coat won't bond very well,,, the clear coat can't penetrate into the wood pores very well with the oil present. If you are just oiling the wood (no clear coat) you don't have worry about removing the wood's natural oils.

sasto

Captain

Thanks guys. I'm going to keep an eye on the process and see how it turns out. Initally it really looks good. These boats have some years on them and have been varnished several times and the owners are looking for something that will last longer.

sasto

Captain

After talking to others now I'm more confused.

This boat is full of teak on the exterior. I mean loads of it. My friend wants something that will last. The teak is 30 years old and quite dry. I've been told to varnish the teak before applying the AwlGrip. Any opinions? He is getting older and doesn't want to do the brightwork every year. AwlGrip to me would be the longest lasting product I can come up with. This boat dosen't have to be perfect. Thanks!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ok some things that are known. Teak is a very unstable wood in the fact that it is oily in nature and i guess porous by nature. Awgrip is a two part paint that becomes a totally different product when dry. In a nut shell its a thin film that is very hard. At some time the wood is going to swell and the grain will raise...Will Alwgrip conform with the grian raising and will it still adhere...Probably not. That is why it generally is just oiled.

One could finish the teak to a fine finish and then lay multiple layers or hot varnish on the surface. In essence youd be sealing the wood or encapulating the wood in a permanent state...Now how long the varnish would hold under UV that i do not know.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Sasto...have you tried contacting AwlGrip directly and asking them? From what I have heard, they are pretty straightforward about questions like that.

sasto

Captain

Sasto...have you tried contacting AwlGrip directly and asking them? From what I have heard, they are pretty straightforward about questions like that.

No I haven't, fireman........Will do.

After talking with friends that are woodworkers on boats, I can't get the answer I want, maybe the correct answer....... but not the one I want! :rolleyes:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you ever used this stuff

Sikkens CETOl Maintenance. When I was in Construction we used it to preserve LOG HOMES. It is some REAL TUFF, DURABLE, WEATHER RESISTANT stuff. HIGHLY UV RESISTANT. Don't know about Marine use but don't know why not either. Might be worth looking into.

cetol-maintenance.gif

fishrdan

Admiral

The teak is 30 years old and quite dry.

You would be surprised once you do some sanding. Remove the faded/oxidized/weathered top layer off the wood and you will most likely find beautiful looking teak hiding underneath.

I've been told to varnish the teak before applying the AwlGrip.

If you varnish first, you would be relying on the bond between the varnish and teak to hold the Awlgrip down, the varnish is your weakest link. If I were to do it, I would Awlgrip direct to the wood,,,,, if recommended my Awlgrip.

Off subject a bit here... I make my own wood fishing lures and I seal the wood direclty with a clear coat, IE: wood floor finish. I do not use any type of undercoating or primer. I have some plugs that have been heavily fished for 10 years and the only places that have chipped finish are rock dings on the bill and from casting (into the rocks), or where the hook swings and tears up the finish. I have used maufactured wood plugs where they used an undercoating or primer and when there was a breach in the finish, large areas of the finish would peel up since the undercoat was not bonded to the wood very well.

Basically, you want the strongest bond between the wood and it's first coating or the finish will fail if (when) the wood gets wet.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Its all in prep and UV protection..

I allways wipe with acetone Just before I apply my first coat to Teak ( removes surface and slight sub-surface oils ).

Sikkins is a good product..but it Really hides the natural grain of teak ( kind of like a stain ). They do make clear sikkins..but you have to apply 2 coats of regular stuff before the clear goes on.

I have had good luck with Helmsman Spar thane from Minwax ( go figure lol ).

YD.

sasto

Captain

Thanks guys.....and I do see your points. I have talked to several people in the field here and I get a different answer by each. Many match your responses. Will be speaking with Awlgrip this week, but I think we are going with the clear directly over the wood. What's the worse that can happen, sand it off and use something proven to work?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Depending on the time you have to watch it and see what happens, get a few pieces of teak from the surplus store and do them all a little dirrerently. One with clearcoat, one with oil and clearcoat, one with Sikkens, etc and see how they all survive after being left out in the open for a year or so.

sasto

Captain

Depending on the time you have to watch it and see what happens, get a few pieces of teak from the surplus store and do them all a little dirrerently. One with clearcoat, one with oil and clearcoat, one with Sikkens, etc and see how they all survive after being left out in the open for a year or so.

We are kinda expiermenting with your suggestions, Fireman. The owner has sanded most of the teak and is prepairing to seal it. I did try a piece a couple months ago and it really looks good, better than anything I've ever seen used.