• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

how cold it too cold to fiberglass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how cold it too cold to fiberglass?

i really want to get my boats deck in and want to know how cold is it to not be able to fiberglass. its bin below freezing most the days and nights here is should start warming a bit up but any help would be great. and also if i get one day and night that it's about freezing what temp is good to fiber glass in.

Re: how cold it too cold to fiberglass?

It pretty much depends on the resin you're using. Some slow epoxies work best above 80, with some fast epoxies you can go down into the 60's. I've used polyester resin down into the mid 50's by increasing the amount of catalyst, but that was for non-structural stuff and doing that isn't generally recommended because the resin doesn't cure properly. Another thing you can do is use shop lamps (with incandescant bulbs) as heat sources to keep your work warm as it cures.
    Checkmate Rebuild: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...eckmate-eluder

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

― Isaac Asimov

Comment

so if i get a 40 degree day and use heat lamps i should be good?

Comment

I would not try it below 50 or so I had some end up a goowy
        Mess
        sigpic

90 supra bravura pmc351 1.23/1 pmc40
        96 seaswirl squirt 115omc turbojet
        88 kawasaki sj550
        88 kawasaki x2 650
        92 yamaha waverunner III
        94 seadoo xp

Comment

Here is a thread I started a week ago asking the same question....http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=453660

There are a few more if you search fiberglass in cold weather. Plenty of comments with good info.
          87 Four Winns 210 Horizon 350 Merc/Alpha 1

Resto Thread 210 Horizon http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=458229

Comment

Originally posted by smallboatlover View Post
            Structurally..nope..I dont like it..

YD.
            Iboats Helper

Comment

Originally posted by smallboatlover View Post
              Well, that depends on a lot of variables. 40 degrees may be pushing it. And what type of resin are you using?

If you use shop lamps to provide heat you still have to start out with resin at room temperature, so store it in the house for several days prior. Also, before you start spend some time checking out your lamp placement to make sure that ALL areas of the work will be warm enough, but not too warm.

Don't just jump into this without taking some time to make sure you've got all bases covered. If any portion of your layup isn't up to temperature it's not going to cure properly, be very careful about that. Also, it is possible to get the layup too hot, that can be just as bad.

Finally, guess how I know about what can go wrong doing this ..... Yes, I've screwed up a few parts along the way.
              Checkmate Rebuild: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...eckmate-eluder

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

― Isaac Asimov

Comment

40 is REALLY pushing it- I wouldn't do it. Remember, it will take a LOT longer to cure at those temps, and you'll need to keep it warm the whole time- NOT just when you're applying it. I put my floor in when it was in the low 50's- But I had it inside a garage, and heated the work area to about 60 for the entire time it was curing, using space heaters. It still took FOREVER to cure.

Judging from your last photos, there's PLENTY that you can do before glassing the floor in. Take your time and do it right, so you only have to do it once.

Comment

im with the other guys if your not going to have it in an enclosed garage with a proper heater that will heat the entire work to about 70 degrees over a period of about 3 days (1 day just sitting to bring work to temp fully, 1 day to work and apply, and 1 more day to fully cure) i wouldn't do it. i did my glassing in winter but like i said i was in the garage, sealed up, with a blast furnace going the entire weekend

Comment

i have done several threads on glassing in colder temps.
                    it can be done.....BUT....the conditions must be right....the glass, resin, and substraight has to think its above 70.
                    on a deck....without a tent...heat...and a few days to warm everything up....it is a waist of time.
                    The Hull Extension Thread
                    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                    November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

so i will wait till spring when it get 50 or 60 so i can get the deck done i want to get it done so bad.

Comment

Patience - I'm chomping at the bit to get back on mine too!
                        sigpic"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither safety or liberty"

Comment

Me too....stringers and a deck on the 21'er
                          87 Four Winns 210 Horizon 350 Merc/Alpha 1

Resto Thread 210 Horizon http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=458229

Comment

Working...
                          X