Removing a Back to Back Seat Base

1CoeRay77

Cadet
I have a back to back seat I would like to eliminate and install a swivel helm chair.
The base is molded into the floor and the sidewall of the boat. Will cutting this from the floor and sidewall affect the structural integrity of the boat?
I have '95 Searay signature 200 with a cuddy.

rickryder

Commander
Re: Removing a Back to Back Seat Base

Pictures? That will help to see it :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

no....it wont.....

but when you take out the seat base. you will have to add new plywood to the missing deck area......this new piece must also be fiberglassed to the existing deck and also to the side of the hull where the seat base used to be attached to .

i would also suggest you use a thicker piece of ply where the pedistal base will go. as there is added stress in this area the normal 1/2 inch ply will not like. you can further reinforce the area by adding a layer of 1708 fiberglass under the seat base area.

you will find that inside the seat base, is full of foam....you will have no issues removing the foam. it will not hurt floatation at all.

as a side note....after your new deck is in....when you drill the holes for the seat base....dont forget to add 3m 4200 in the holes before you bolt it down......not sealing those holes properly is the cause of many a rotted deck !

cheers
oops

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yup..pics please :)

Molded bases in the deck to hull ??

YD.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I believe your seat base is part of the bulkhead structure of the boat. If you remove it you will have to compensate for the removed structure by glassing in supports. Can you remove your back to back seat and loacte a swivel seat on your existing console without pedistal. you may be able to place a cabinet with a bar counter behind the seat to hide remainder of old seat base.

1CoeRay77

Cadet

The boat is in storage right now, here is the best pic I can do for now. It is all storage under the seat so getting rid of the that part of the base wont be a problem. Its the little boxed in area attach to the base and side wall where all of the foam is.

mini-SAM_0258.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if there is no foam in the base......just stowage....then its less hassle to remove. that means there is deck under there......you just saved a few steps.

you do know that you are going the have to re carpet ....right? the least where the old bases were......

since you do not have to do the deck.....i would make sure you add a good layer of cloth glass over the area of the base....the pedistal seate have a lot of force on them and the 1/2 inch deck of the boat wont like it.

this is almost a no brainier to do. you should be done in a matter of hours.....

1CoeRay77

Cadet

I am probably making it more difficult than it should be. Im not to worried about the carpet, I can deal with that. As soon as it comes home from storage I am going to tear into it. I have 2 little kids and we do alot of boating so I am trying to get more floor space.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Looks like simple seat modules..should be some "cleats" ( strips of wood attatched to the frame and floor ) holding down the seat on the parimeter of the base..basically unscrew anything you can find lol..

Just hope that the factory guys didnt strip out the screws on these things when installing them ;) . or your going to be breaking out the Sawzall or simply Ripping the cursed things off and doing some minor repairs :) .

YD.

A right angle drill might help with the removal.