Value of 1959 Gator Trailer

Nelsonr

Cadet
Single axel, tilt. Any guesses about how much one would be worth restored? I'm deciding on whether or not to donate $190 to the state of Illinois to acquire and transfer a lost title plus a fairly daunting restoration project.
Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Value of 1959 Gator Trailer

Not sure, but I can tell you that I LOVE Mine (1960 model) and would NOT sell it for anything. Is it worth $190 +?? To me it is but I guess it depends on the user and how much it's going to take to bring her back to life. I love the lifting bunks and the ability to move the axle to perfectly balance the boat on the trailer. I am just starting to think about my restoration but I am NOT worrying about the cost. Mine is in pretty good shape. The sandblasting, paint, re bunking, carpeting and the rollers will NOT cost more than $100.00. All the other mechanical parts are complete and working. It will be WELL worth it to me. I even found a guy on the web that sells the Original Decals for $35.00 so she will look totally original when I am done.

Bottom line it's up to you but for me I say "Go for it!"

I'm just sayin...:D

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Seen a Gator brand trailer about a year ago, I would guess similiar to yours, it was a tilt 1962 model. It was for a 14 to 15 foot fishing boat, wasn't restored but looked good for $250.00

mr 88

Commander

Just talked to a guy that paid 500 for some hard to find fenders from a diff Mfg. Same era.If the trailer is under the same year vintage boat it may be worth more. My guess is 200-500 max. Why not buy a junker from craigs or the boneyard and use that reg for the Gator? I have 6 trailers and use two plates, why give any state anymore money, it cost enought to reg the boats along with the two trailers.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

It'll easily cost you an extra $300 for bearings, tires, wiring, lights and paint. For $450 you can buy a brand new trailer and save all your labor.

Its not worth it to restore it.

Now, if your intention is to put it under a classic boat and you intend to enter it in classic boat shows, go ahead and restore it because its value is priceless.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Gator trailers are getting harder and harder to come by... What model is it? Do you have a photo?

It's probably well worth it IF it's in good structural shape. I restored a '60 that came with my boat-

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=388868&highlight=gator+trailer

And, its a real eye-catcher now that it's done!

I've got a 1961 that I bought on it's way to me, which will be restored for another classic boat, along with a '59 Tee-Nee trailer for yet ANOTHER classic of mine. I think that the old trailers are as cool as the old boats :)

-Andrew

Nelsonr

Cadet

I'll try the shotgun approach. Its under the 1959 Wolverine 14' aluminum Delivery model (61" beam 193 lb 4 seater). They were bought as a package. Technically I bought the boat and was given the trailer. The original owners live in the area and I'll have to get them involved in replacing the lost title and transfering it at $95 a whack. It's going to my son in Nebraska to fish out of...no boat shows in the future. For Andgott...it's pretty rough. Probably sat out in the weather for 52 years. At least a couple of coats of paint over the original and over the rust. It's all flaking off. It appears sound mechanically and the rust doesn't look too deep. I pulled it 50 miles home with no problems and there was probably 300 lbs of ice in the boat. I'm a new guy and don't know how to post an image. For Jims123...can you point me at a new trailer for $450?
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond and all the good advice.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to see photos of it if you can figure it out- It it's not too far gone, it might be worth saving. I'm having one shipped down to me from Illinois, a bigger 1961 trailer. I'm paying more to ship the thing than I paid for the trailer- And some people say I'm nuts for doing it, since it won't ever be 'worth' as much as I've got in it. Well, the thing is, The trailer itself might not be, but when it's paired as a package with a same-year boat and motor, it becomes worthwhile, at least to me and the handfull of crazy collectors out there.

If you are using the boat as a fishing rig and plan on doing a lot of trailering, a new trailer would serve you much better... If you need help finding someone looking for a 'classic' trailer, send me a message or email, I know a lot of people in the 'field'. You probably won't get a lot for it- especially if its in bad shape, but you might get something!

-Andrew

gonefishin50

Cadet

I just bought a small boat this past summer. I didn't know what kind of trailer it was but I do now..lol
Not sure of the year but it's a gator. I like mine. It was in bad shape when I bought it. Still have to get tires and the hubcaps done.
Notsure what they are worth I paid 400 for the boat and trailer