1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Well all right! The Islander got a little sister today!

I took a look at this boat back in August and kinda kept in touch with the seller. OK, since it's the middle of the winter I figured now would be a great time to buy a it! Makes sense for me anyway!

He was originally asking $550. I made him an offer way back when I first saw it and he turned me down. He said he would not take a penny less than $350. This morning I hauled it home after I gave him the $200 that Santa had stuffed in my stocking this Christmas.

I'm pumped!

Check it out...
P1040743.jpg

P1040744.jpg

P1040701.jpg

P1040699.jpg

P1040708.jpg

P1040709.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

Yeah, fantastic! Glad somebody else is doing a Jet Star, mine is a 1964. Unfortunately, mine is taking a record long time because I can only work outside. I'll be anxious to check out your thread as you go along. By the way, you paid an amazing price, a way better deal than I got. And looks like you've got a couple helpers.

Looks like they had gone to one knee brace by that year.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks lake!

I hope you won't be too disappointed with me when you see the direction I'm headed with this project:eek::eek::D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice find, congratulations on the new rig:)

And an outboard model too, sweet:D

Can't wait to see her with that snow off so we can really get a look at her.:p:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Mike!

OK guys, here is an interesting factoid...

On January 8, 2010 I brought home the Islander.

On January 8, 2011 I brought home the Jet Star.

Huh, who wudda guessed??!

Hopefully I can launch them both this year.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool. I know you're gonna hack it up. Kinda a bummer cuz it's a neat little runabout but I'll get over it. I have a soft spot for those old Chryslers and if that one has good compression, I would probably put more into than one really oughta just to be able to run it for a few years.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Hey it has an outboard!!,.....

Will it have a tiller handle in the future??????

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on the new boat!

What are the plans for this one?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nice! Don't write off that Chrysler, my parents current boat has a '76 Chrysler 90hp and it has been a very good motor. Btw, their first boat was a '67 or '68 Jet Star that they bought brand new. My dad still to this day talks about how much he liked that boat.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You found gem!. I hate to see you change it from a true runabout though.....cant' wait to the progress. 2 boats, I can only dream......I've had no time for mine lately (I have new toys to add). Been too busy (you lucky dog).

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I hope you won't be too disappointed with me when you see the direction I'm headed with this project:eek::eek::D

:eek:I'm almost aftraid to look, but curiosity will get the best of me!

That capacity plate is in about average condition!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

And an outboard model too, sweet:D

(whispering)

Dude, now that I have an OB will you guys let me hang with you? Those IO guys, ah well, I guess I'll say :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Shhhh, don't tell em I said that though. They have enough trouble as it is with their ancient technology, money pit, always needing maintenance, fear of freezing, unreliable IO's you know.

I have a soft spot for those old Chryslers and if that one has good compression, I would probably put more into than one really oughta just to be able to run it for a few years.

Nice! Don't write off that Chrysler

Well, on that motor...

I know that there is a broken piece (have no idea what it's called, more on that later) so right at the start I'll need to put at least a little $ into it. My fear is that I'd be chasing good money after bad, you know. I really don't want to get myself into a money pit sort of situation. You guys know how budget conscious I am and kinda what I am thinking is every dollar I spend on the Chrysler is a dollar taken from a new setup. I think I'd just assume sell it for what I can and put that $ towards something more current. Knowhattamean?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, for those of you wondering where this project is headed, here are just a couple of quick examples of what I am thinking...

47.jpg

2010_starcraft_freedom180sc.jpg

3878982415_b6513c9310.jpg

See, I need a fishing rig. The Islander will be the big water fishing boat and a family fun boat. This here will be for river running and smaller lakes. Pretty much a fishing rig.

I really wanted either a Super Sport (or a Jupiter cut up to be one) or a 14' Deep V utility boat. The SS (or hack Jup) would have certainly been a dual console. Had I landed a 14 footer is surely would have been a tiller. Well, seeing as I hauled home a rig that has dimensions right in between the two I'll rebuild this Jet Star to be a Side Console. Kind of a compromise, eh!

I really do feel bad about cutting up this runabout, so my sincere apologies to my buds who like to see it kept original.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Well, on that motor...

...I think I'd just assume sell it for what I can and put that $ towards something more current. Knowhattamean?

That's what I did. When I got mine, it ran and pumped water, so I left it alone and got an ad on craigslist. It sold for $300, that I put toward my '03 Johnson 50. I didn't want to be messing with the motor all the time...I do my boating 170 miles away from my home and tools.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

JohnnyRude is your best bet. They run forever and you can still get parts for them. A nice 1955-1970 model will do you right.

That wasn't the boat that you told HuronAngler about was it? The one buried in the guys yard? Nice find there bub.

Can I hang with you outboard guys? The I/o guys are so mean and gruff. Oh Jas you're pathetic.:p I really hope no one bought into that speel:facepalm:. I think you're not happy unless you're aggravating someone. You're a lot like.............

Good luck in the modification.

fshngho

Lieutenant

(whispering)

Dude, now that I have an OB will you guys let me hang with you? Those IO guys, ah well, I guess I'll say

Shhhh, don't tell em I said that though. They have enough trouble as it is with their ancient technology, money pit, always needing maintenance, fear of freezing, unreliable IO's you know

LOL, of course you can hang out, we always need someone to pick on.:rolleyes:
Now lets see. tilt trailer (good), is that a downrigger? Motor to be used or sold, neat steering wheel, and boat hull in good condition...yep ya done good. Happy and proud of ya Dude. Your'e not going to push it ahead of the big 'un are you? It dosent seem to need as much resto, so that will go quick especially with your experience now. Let the games begin!!!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What part does the motor need? Frank in the Chrysler/Force section should be able to help you locate whatever you're after.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's what I did. When I got mine, it ran and pumped water, so I left it alone and got an ad on craigslist. It sold for $300, that I put toward my '03 Johnson 50. I didn't want to be messing with the motor all the time...I do my boating 170 miles away from my home and tools.

Yup, that is exactly what I am thinking. I was eyeballing your new OB this morning on your thread, man that is sweet!

That wasn't the boat that you told HuronAngler about was it? The one buried in the guys yard? Nice find there bub.

Nope, different one.

BTW Don - I was talking about the other IO owners buddy, certainly not you;):D

I think you're not happy unless you're aggravating someone.

Thats like my favorite hobby:D

LOL, of course you can hang out, we always need someone to pick on.:rolleyes:
Now lets see. tilt trailer (good), is that a downrigger? Motor to be used or sold, neat steering wheel, and boat hull in good condition...yep ya done good. Happy and proud of ya Dude. Your'e not going to push it ahead of the big 'un are you? It dosent seem to need as much resto, so that will go quick especially with your experience now. Let the games begin!!!:D

Yah, I can give you guys plenty of material to torment me, way easy!

That is just a board mounted for rod holders on the stern there.

Nope, Islander is the priority. I'll just sort of plug away at it, no biggie. If I can hit the spring walleye run fine, if not, that is aok too! It crossed my mind to find a tiller cheap, bolt it on, run it this summer, rebuild next winter. We'll see:D

Yah Dale, on this one, even though I need to cut it up and fab a new console, I still think I have about a thousand less steps to complete. I moved it (by hand) about 30 yards yesterday and thought, "man there are a lot of things that will be way easier to complete on this little Jet". That same job would have taken me 20 minutes on the Islander.