1990 raycraft v140 bass boat

usarmyharley

Cadet
hey guys i got a phone call last week and it was my dad tellin me i could have his old bass boat because he just bought a new one.....this boat is a 1990 raycraft with a 50 hp mercury outboard...its only about 14 feet long but a good little boat....its sat under the sun with no protection for the last 3 years and hasnt even been ran so i was kinda scared but ive been lurking around these forums for the past year because ive been wantin to redo the floor/stringers in my ski boat....so i now have the boat and the outboard motor fired up on the first try after i got some good power and fuel primed to it....trolling motor works also...now onto the project...the boat is solid no soft spots in the floor BUT by reading on here i just knew it was too good to be true so i took a pedestal mount out so i could feel underneath the fiberglass and its def rotten....and here is a few pictures to show you guys what i will be working with.

Attachments

• DSC03817.JPG
    DSC03817.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 1990 raycraft v140 bass boat

Welcome to Iboats m8..

You need to give a little bit more cleanup and some better pics ( I only see leaves scattered around ) before we can give you some good advice..

YD.

usarmyharley

Cadet

DSC03816.jpg
[/IMG]

usarmyharley

Cadet

lol yea the ive got it cleaned up tryin to figure out this attaching picture things so they are small enough to see without scrolling.

usarmyharley

Cadet

DSC03820.jpg

DSC03821.jpg

DSC03822.jpg

my electrical mess that i will have to redo
DSC03823.jpg

and you cant leave out the child labor
DSC03824.jpg

usarmyharley

Cadet

will post more pictures tomarrow of it cleaned up and washed out....half of me wants to tear it apart and redo it and use it as a learning experience for when i get ready to finish my ski boat and the other half of me wants to just clean it up and put some cheap carpet in it and leave it alone until it gets soft spots in it or when my ski boat is done....so havent decided if i will do a full rebuild or partial like paint and flooring.

usarmyharley

Cadet

ok guys im back home until jan 24th so its time to get started on this boat. here is my plan of action over the next few days and also a few questions that im sure have been answered 100 times but i cant find it so sorry but dont get frustrated haha

1. build a outboard motor stand( great instructional on the forums for that)
2. take motor off the boat and onto the stand
3. remove the cap

QUESTION 1-- I couldnt really find much information as far as getting rivits out but the best i found was you just get a smaller drill bit and drill the rivit out?(this thing has a ton of them holding hardware)

QUESTION 2-- Do i just pull the black moulding going around the cap out or do you have to pry it out or some kinda special way?

alot of these questions i think i know the answer to but i want to be 100 percent right because after learning on this small boat i want to redo my ski boat.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Is the deck rotten? Your post said "until it gets soft spots". If the deck is solid, I can't see any reson to tear it all the way down. Just clean it up and recarpet, and take that little guy fishing. You may want to make a few inspections holes, but usually if the deck is rock solid, so is the support system under it.

usarmyharley

Cadet

k thanks for the replies....there is no soft spots as far as the deck that i can tell....but where the pedestal seat bracket goes in the front of the boat(seat for using the trolling motor) i put my hand in the pedestal seat hole and on the backside of the fiberglass it has rotten wood....but in order to get to that i have to take the cap off....not sure if that makes too much sense but once i get pictures you will see what i am talking about.

Pelhament

Cadet

On my bass boat, the pedestal seats are on the cap, is that the same with yours? If so, replacing the wood attached to the cap should be fairly simple. Unfortunately for me the wood on the cap was the only salvageable wood on my boat.

lesbrou

Recruit

I had a 140 the hp rating was 60 . I put a 70hp on it . Ran good .