Aluminum flooring/side panels

captainQ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 16' Blue Fin Sportsman and I'm planning on a complete resto. The floor was redone 5 years ago but they used 3/4 pt. It's still solid but it's coming out. I peeled the transcom out yesterday, rotted pretty bad.

Anyone ever use Aluminum to replace the plywood flooring ? What gauge would be acceptable ?

I need to save wieght as much as possible due to HP restrictions on Quabbin Res. We are limited to 20 hp 2 strokes or 25 hp, 4 strokes. It came rigged with twin 20 Evinrudes which for now I'll probably use one of them.

The side panels were replaced with 1/2" plastic material that's got some wieght to it and it's going to.

I've heard these boats are basically the same as a Starcraft Super Sport, any truth to this?

Thanks

rwhodel

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Aluminum flooring/side panels

I have a 19 foot Blue Fin Sportsman. My deck is made from 5/8 exterior plywood and the side walls are aluminum. You should never use PT wood on aluminum boats as corrosion from PT will start corrosion. My transom also rotted, I am either going to use Nida Bond or replace with wood. If you use aluminum for the floors, they will be noisy if you drop anything on them and it would have to be thick enough to not bend when walking on them. I suggest using 5/8 exterior plywood for the deck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I had a fisher bass boat that had aluminum decking and it was covered with carpet. Between the flotation and the carpet it was quiet.

Take a look at aluminum street signs ...... the 4x4 ones are about 1/8" thick and VERY strong. Aluminum diamond plate would be the greatest stuff and it is all around 1/8" but hang on to your wallet!!! $$$$$$$$ a 4 x 8 sheet is around $175 or higher.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

3/16" 5052-H32 Alumiinum Plate would be equivelant in weight and strength to 3/4" exterior ply. The problem with doing it in a boat that isn't structurally designed for it is that you could create hard points. Hard points are created where any three rigid surfaces are joined together. Riveted boats flex more because they can and this is often seen as an attribute. Welded boats flex less but if the manufacturer was a good one you won't have any hard points. In either case they must be avoided at all cost.

If your boat is welded or riveted, do not secure the aluminum at the edges. Only secure it at the stringers and leave about 1/2" gap all around. You can use vinyl deck covering and you'lll never see the edges. Use stainless steel fastners to secure it but make sure that the fastners are compatable with aluminum. The most commonly found fastners will be 18-8 stainless but you should avoid those around aluminum and use 316 instead.

captainQ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, thanks for the quick response guys. It's a riveted boat, I can't read the manufactures plate but it probably about a 1986 year model. I understand the hard point issues and the fact that pt is a no no that's why it's coming out.

I am planning on using swimmies for floatation under the flooring once I've Glu-vit the seams and rivets. I guess I was hoping Aluminum flooring could save me some pounds and would go as thin as possible as well as the side panels. The consoles were fabricated in Aluminum during the previous owners rebuild, that's when the pt went in.

I notice "exterior" plywood being mentioned here, why not Marine or is it the same ?

Not that I don't care about how much I spend on this, but I want it mint so I'll consider cost after quality and function.

I sold a 2002 17.5 Smoker Craft that was to big and heavy for the power restrictions so I'm not affraid to dump some cash into this project if that's what it takes.

I paid alot for the Blue Fin with a rotted transcom, but it came with a mint ez -loader trailer and twin 20's with dual controls that run great for 2k. I hope to finish this up for 4k total.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Theres a ton of threads on Marine vs. Exterior and much controversy. I used Exterior for the decks in my last resto and they are fine but it's only been a couple of years. I also coated them with two heavy coats of 1 part Polyureathane. Combine that with the glue from laying down the vinyl and I seriously doubt they'll rot for quite a few years. Time will tell and I already sold the boat so I'll probably never know. I used 3/4 but I later realized that 5/8 would have been fine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

An '86 Blue Fin is probably pretty close to identical to a Starcraft SS. Sounds like you got a decent deal on that one. Marine grade plywood is a superior product. Better glue and fewer voids. It will cost you about twice as much though. Let see some pics!

captainQ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

An '86 Blue Fin is probably pretty close to identical to a Starcraft SS. Sounds like you got a decent deal on that one. Marine grade plywood is a superior product. Better glue and fewer voids. It will cost you about twice as much though. Let see some pics!

Well that's what I'd been hearing and I really wanted the Starcraft but around these parts we don't see all that many and the few I looked at were beat beyond repair.

I started taking pics on the transcom removal, but the barn is quite dark, we 'll see how they look and I'll get some up soon.

Thanks for the info, hopefully with all the threads/info I'll do it up nice.