self etch primer

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My question is how well does self etch primer work on bare aluminum? I would like to paint an aluminum duck boat but would like to skip the etch wash and then prime. Has anyone used rustoleum self etch spray primer?

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: self etch primer

many people here used the self etching primer, the kind you buy at a parts store in a spray can. i actually went to a household paint store and explained what i was doing and was he was very knowledgable and showed me a qt can that i sprayed on my hull. i was leary at first and researched it and was convinced. it was so much cheaper than the spray cans

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There is No such thing that im aware of..

We all want/like to skip processes of proper prep..

Prep IS EVERYTHING m8..

As far as I know there is NO self etching spray/roll/brush primer that has all the chemical properties needed for proper chemical etch/wash for ZC and paint..

I have said in the past..and Ill say it again..

Alumiprep..alodine..ZC..2 part epoxy prime..spray...

Anything less..is well..less..

Its not that hard to prep alum right..and not that much more expensive...

YD.

PS. This is the only advise I can give..I dont know anything about the 50/50 mixes or anything else..

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

borrowed from : http://www.takeem.com/blinds/aluminum-paint.php

4) Do I need a special primer to paint aluminum?

A regular primer sticks to the material it is applied to by mechanical adhesion. Mechanical adhesion is accomplished by primer settling into scratches created from sanding, and then grabbing onto these scratches it shrinks when drying.

An etch primer is formulated to be put on bare metal such as bare aluminum. This type of primer not only provides a mechanical adhesion, but also a chemical adhesion. The chemical adhesion is achieved by an acid contained in the primer, which etches itself into the material it is applied to. The mechanical adhesion is achieved as describe above in regular primer

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

My question is how well does self etch primer work on bare aluminum? I would like to paint an aluminum duck boat but would like to skip the etch wash and then prime. Has anyone used rustoleum self etch spray primer?

Not necessary.
Self etch primers react with the zinc in steel (I always thought it was a reaction with the iron)
There is no zinc in the aluminum in your jon boat.

With today's epoxy primers, this is 'old school' technology.

As the Yacht Dr. pointed out "Alumiprep..alodine..ZC..2 part epoxy prime..spray..."

Prep is everything...loose paint, oxidation, and scale have to be removed. Then..."Alumiprep..alodine..ZC..2 part epoxy prime..spray..."

I wouldn't use a spray can for anything this big! IMHO:)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Then..."Alumiprep..alodine..ZC..2 part epoxy prime..spray..."

That's the ticket... Always use a primer if the paint calls for it. If it doesn't, then the Alodine chromatic conversion process is a perfectly adequate primer on its own.

alfonz

Recruit

zinc chromate is probably looking for tempo make a good one. used alot on lower units