Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration SPLASHED!

Friscoboater

Captain
Well here we go again. This time, the restoration is not voluntary. Let me bring everyone up to speed.

About a month ago the wife and I started looking for a bigger boat to handle the whole family. We looked at at lease 20 to 30 boats all over a 100 mile radius here in Texas. One night I was searching on the internet and found a gorgeous Sea Ray in South Carolina. I spent alot of time discussing this boat with the owner and exchanging emails and pictures. He had the deck replaced 2 years ago and had it gelcoated to seal it up, and had the exterior gelcoated also. This thing was awesome so we decided to drive out a pick the boat up.

What I did not know is that the new deck was installed over rotten stringers. When I was cleaning her out after our trip I discovered a soft spot in the far port corner of the deck where previously there were a pack of life jackets were sitting during the lake trial. What had happened is that the rotten stringers we wicking up to the new deck and rotting it out. They did not even seal it with resin or fiberglass and used sheetrock screws to hold it down.

So anyway I paid for a lake ready boat, not a boat that needed $3000 worth of work. Now I must restore it just to be able to recoup some of my investment. I will make it better than new, and hopefully enjoy it for years.

I have to say I am scared to death.

So here are my objectives.

1. Replace all wood that is in the boat.
2. When replacing the deck I want to somehow slant it toward the middle to shed water toward teh bilge.
3. All carpet will be gone. It just holds moisture.
4. I would like to gel coat the deck this time, and in white
5. Come up with a drain system for the deck.

I am sure there is more

I will keep you guys updated with pictures and video as I go along just like I did with the Glastron.

Well here she is

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration

Sorry about your luck man. Sharp looking ride though. Bet that big block makes her fly though.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a real bummer. It is a nice boat though. It is like mine on roids. Fix it right and you'll be lovin it. It sucks about the lack of truth from the PO. What comes around goes around so they got something coming. I'd call them and ask them directly about it. They had to know. Maybe they'll send some cash. I know it sounds stupid, but I checked everything but the master cylinder on my trailer when I bought my boat and when I got home realized the MC was trashed. Worked out a $350 credit from the PO to cover parts and I redid the brakes myself. He was not a DIY'r and didn't know about it.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Glad to see you've started on her already! I'm pullin for ya and I'm sure you'll have no problem. Keep us updated!!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

On another positive note, it will probably be faster with all that wet foam and rotted wood out. That stuff can add several hundred pounds to a boat.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I'm down near Fort Hood. I'll almost be up in your area later this week.
Feel free to PM me if you need some help. I'll make the trip up.

Your Ray is a bigger twin to mine, so I may be of some help.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for the offer guys. I might take you up on it.

Here is the first of what will be many videos for this resto.

harry styles

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about the bad luck. Maybe you can build a gantry in 3 parts, ie the 2 risers and a cross beam so that you can put it together, get the motor out and pull it down all in one day. Just think of it as a small side project that you will likely use again and again.

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am so sorry this happend to you!!!!! I seen all the things you did to your glasstron you do things right. it is a beautifull boat. Had a guy re do a flloor for me on my old cajun bass boat. i went to see how he was getting along and what i saw was crazy he scabed on to the old stingers and was going to leave the wet foam in it. well we had a few words as i knew it wasnt right pulled the boat home and called a friend i knew and he did it for me 500.00 less and done it right. good luck and sorry this did happen!!!!

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What did the previous owner have to say?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

The man that had it might have thought it was done right. I mean I would never have paid for all the extra stuff to be done if I knew the floor was cobbled as bad as that.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Before your trip...

Sweet! It looks like a bigger version of our BR200. You may want to check the wood around the engine compartment. For all that is solid on a SeaRay, I'm surprised where they used poorly treated plywood. I replaced the back and the two side walls of our BR200 with Linex coated boards last year.

At least your Ray will have a motor. Our SeaRay may get a 5.7 this winter.

I may have to uncover my Lil' Ray to see if I'm looking at the same project.
I wouldn't be surprised if our Ray has similiar damage.

Friscoboater

Captain

What did the previous owner have to say?

The previous owner has not responded yet, and I never expect to hear a thing.

I have been thinking just how to go about replacing the forward deck without splitting the hull. It looks like all the wood is attached to the deck that supports the top of the cap. I just need to cut the wood out from under the cap and make templates. Does anyone have any good ideas to support the helm while I do this work?

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Well it sucks that you have to do a big job you didn't plan on, but you seem to have a positive attitude and that makes all the difference. Plus you seem to have a lot of experience so hopefully once you get into it the job won't be too painful. I bet that thing is a real rocketship out on the water!

Friscoboater

Captain

Well it sucks that you have to do a big job you didn't plan on, but you seem to have a positive attitude and that makes all the difference. Plus you seem to have a lot of experience so hopefully once you get into it the job won't be too painful. I bet that thing is a real rocketship out on the water!

You must have a positive attitude, or you are destined to fail. It will be what keep me going in this.

Has anyone seen one of these before? It is a cherry picker on steroids, and I need to find where to rent one.

IMG_1025.jpg

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I saw someone on Club Sea Ray that did that lift with a regular hoist. I think the hoist was on boards and the air was out of the trailer tires, though.

Friscoboater

Captain

I have a regular hoist rates for 2 tons. I am not sure if it will reach though. I will go search over there and see how he did it.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I have a regular hoist rates for 2 tons. I am not sure if it will reach though. I will go search over there and see how he did it.
I don't post much over there, but there's a lot of good SeaRay help there. I found the hoist info in a photo log of a guy doing a repower. I was surprised he made it work with a regular hoist.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like your off to a good start. How did the engine check out? Compression good?

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I woke up in a much better mood today, and I think I have a clear vision. I am headed to Lowes today to get the dremel multi max tool It has great reviews and I think will help cut the stringers and the deck flush. We will see.