Heat treated fiberglass mat

1732kemper

Recruit
I purchased a roll of 18oz 60"x150' woven mat for a pretty good price for an upcoming project. I am planning building a swim platform extension on a 3207 carver.
Out of curiosity I ran the product number on the box. This mat turned out to be 18 oz fire blanket for welding. The material looks identical to woven mat. In calling the manufacture they indicated the cloth is heat treated to burn of any containment and that no coating have been applied to it. They couldn?t tell me if this fiberglass mat could be used in fabrication.
If anyone knows a little bit more about this please reply. What I am wondering if this would be same at 18oz woven mat?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Heat treated fiberglass mat

In calling the manufacture they indicated the cloth is heat treated to burn of any containment and that no coating have been applied to it. They couldn?t tell me if this fiberglass mat could be used in fabrication.

Ayuh,.... ask BillP,... He up to date on that sorta stuff....

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Heat treated fiberglass mat

They apply various chemicals to make resin wick easier, volan is one coating I know of. The untreated cloth I've used felt course and feels like it catches on your skin, the higher quality treated cloth felt soft to the touch and went around curves easier.