1964 Arkansas Traveler Restoration

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone. First post on this site and there is tons of great info I love it.

I have been watching Mick's 62 restoration for a few months and he inspired me to give it a go. I picked up a 64 Traveler for $100 on Craigslist a few weeks ago. It came with a 1957 Evinrude 30 H.P. that fired right up. I have not tested compression or anything yet but under the cover is clean. A previous owner installed a windshield that does not fit right...they added a bunch of filler to make it work and that's the first thing I ripped off. I will be building my own from lexan. I do not have any torches to anneal aluminum or some place that sells it "pre-annealed?" Has anyone used pvc molding and do you think it would support the weight? Pics coming shortly.

Looking forward to chattin' with ya'.

Kris

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1964 Arkansas Traveler Restoration

Not the best pics taken with the phone. I'll get some more up with a better camera and my progress so far. Ripped out the deck and basically just seeing what I have to work with.

BoatSide.jpg

BoatFront.jpg

Evinrude.jpg

InsideEvinrude.jpg

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a nice project! Great price, too...

That windshield DOES look a bit goofy- The new lexan one will be a great improvement. As for 'pre annealed' aluminum, I've never seen it... You can anneal it with a propane torch, or even a good heat gun- it only needs to get to the critical temp (800-900 or so), which is easy enough.

I was just playing with that myself-

normal_IMG_0425.JPG

normal_IMG_0424.JPG

That stock was annealed with a propane torch. It takes a careful touch- You don't want to melt it!

If you don't anneal- It'll bend like this-

normal_NoAnneal.jpg

That's for replacing the frame on one of my projects (1959 Lake N Sea). I'll be making a few windshields up in the near future, and will be taking lots of photos and videos as I go.

kfa4303

Banned

$100 for boat, motor and trailer.......SWEET!!!! I love the motor most of all. Very cool and Darth Vadery lloking, and it runs even better. Can't wait to see how she turns out.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job on that aluminum! Great to hear that I can use a propane torch. I have been researching the heck out of it and everyone was saying acetylene only. I'm happy now lol. Did you grab that stock at a regular hardware store?

And yes the motor is cool I lucked out with the find. The guy I bought it from had 4 other boats and some guy who owed him money gave it to him as payment. (or so the story goes lol)

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alrighty then here are some more fresh pictures from tonight.

Front shot of the motor.
EvinrudeFront.jpg

Windshield removed
LeftSideBoat.jpg

Picked up a DA from Harbor Freight tonight to tackle this crap.
Paint_Jacked.jpg

The stringers seem solid when I press into them...I am going to be adding a couple more without removing these just to be on the safe side. Will probably end up foaming under the new deck.
Stringers.jpg

Throttle
Throttle.jpg

Sanded down the huge pile of filler smashed into the old windshield.
WindshieldRepair.jpg

My neighbor and good friend is just as excited as I am to tackle this project. Most of the work will be done on the weekends so stay tuned for updates!

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Transom looks solid as well.

DeckandTransom-1.jpg

Dash

Dash-1.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Really cool hull. I agree, that windshield looked wonky on there. Also, a black Evinrude just isn't right. You're going to have to address that :p I'm amazed at the lack of rot in that hull. Must have spent a good amount of time indoors.

Don't toss that windshield. People on here are always looking for them. At the very least, put it on CL. May get a couple bucks for it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just out of curiosity, when you say the stingers and the transom LOOK good what do you mean by that? What have you done to ensure that they are? Have your drilled exploratory holes to ensure there is good dry shavings? That is one of the Only ways I know to ensure that the wood is NOT wet and they ARE good to go.

I'm just sayin...:D

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just out of curiosity, when you say the stingers and the transom LOOK good what do you mean by that? What have you done to ensure that they are? Have your drilled exploratory holes to ensure there is good dry shavings? That is one of the Only ways I know to ensure that the wood is NOT wet and they ARE good to go.

I hammered a flat head into them in various spots and there were no soft spots. Good idea with the drilling I do that.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really cool hull. I agree, that windshield looked wonky on there. Also, a black Evinrude just isn't right. You're going to have to address that :p I'm amazed at the lack of rot in that hull. Must have spent a good amount of time indoors.

Don't toss that windshield. People on here are always looking for them. At the very least, put it on CL. May get a couple bucks for it.

Agreed on the windshield I'll throw it on Craigslist. Anything to offset the cost of the project will help.

As far as the motor goes I was thinking of painting it two-tone to match the color of the boat. I'm sticking with the blue and white.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's some questions: What if the stringers turn out to be bad after drilling. Can I replace them without building supports for the hull and leave it on the trailer? I was originally thinking of just leaving them where they are and adding a couple more.

And there are holes going up to the bow allowing water to move in and out. I would like to seal these off and make a bilge area in the rear only by cutting a square back there.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Need a better pic of the transom. Where is the Drain tube? You need to make sure the stringers have drain holes to allow for any water to channel back to the drain tube. IMHO it is a GREAT idea to creat a bilge area for your boat. If the stringers are wet and mushy then you will need to cut and grind them out and replace them. Check the forum there are PLENTY of examples to show and explain how this is done. Post a pic of the inside of the transom so we can get a better perspective of how you could build a bilge area.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

100 Bucks ... Sure it wasnt stolen ;) .. looks like the trailer alone has had more then that put into her..not to mention that sweet lookin' Ark riding on top of the tires :) .

Good catch.

YD.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone know how fast this pig will fly with this 30 HP? Obviously weight will be the determining factor. But how about a range?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How big is she? 14? 16? She may see 30 going down hill :D

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should definitely check out mick's restoration of his 1962 Traveler. He did a great job and documented very well. I learned a lot from his thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820

That's where I get my inspiration from. He went above and beyond for sure.

Boat length is 15' an 25-30mph will do just fine for me:)

I drilled into the stringers and dry sawdust came out except for a two foot section. It was a little funky the first half inch in. I'm going to replace just that piece. Closeups of the transom coming tomorrow. Tonight was a cap sanding night.

Nite all.