• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1969 Cheiftan Restoration

Here is a quick video of me firing this old girl up. I had to hold full throttle on her a bit because before I started it I was playing with the carb a bit and was pumping the gas then I pumped it again not thinking while I was filming this. She may have been flooded a bit but shes running good now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNtwWp19Rg4
    sigpic

1969 StarCraft Chieftain, 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II

Link To Restoration Page

----------------------------------------------------

Its What I Don't Say You Should Be Worried About...

Comment

I'm with Jason on this one, that hull looks to be in nearly immaculate shape as far as original paint with no scratches or dents.

Nice-looking boat ya got there. Glad to have you in the armada Alpheus, looking forward to seeing what you've got planned for the rig.
      sigpic
      '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
      12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
      Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

I can't believe it started with that slow of cranking. Bad battery? Weak starter? Motor sounded good though.
        1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
        Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
        1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
        Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Sounds great there Alpheus. Two quick things you probably know. You can burn up a starter with a weak/bad battery and 2, I don't know what Joe did, but I would change the impeller to be safe.
          Congrats Dude. Can't wait for the splash video. Uh, turn the camera next time, I got a crick in my neck, LOL

Some people say " They Can"
          Some people say " They Can't"
          They are both right.
          18' SS for fshngho
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=417083

Comment

I used my phone for the video.

The battery had over 15 volts while on the charger and over 13 volts off, and checked the amperage with carbon pile load tester,so the battery is not weak. She don't turn over slow now and didnt turn over slow last week in Philly. I think she was flooded.

Thats outdrive oil laying in there

Last edited by Alpheus; March 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM.
            sigpic

Link To Restoration Page

Comment

Trust me, I know very little about IB's. If those things have thermostats then its unlikely they would open up for flow running on a hose. Constant cold water coming in may prevent that from happening. I would still change the impellar though.

Some people say " They Can"
              Some people say " They Can't"
              They are both right.
              18' SS for fshngho
              http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=417083

Comment

Originally posted by fshngho View Post
                Trust me, I know very little about IB's. If those things have thermostats then its unlikely they would open up for flow running on a hose. Constant cold water coming in may prevent that from happening. I would still change the impellar though.
                I took the hose that comes from the bell housing off from the front. This is before it goes into the engine and there was no water coming out of it at all (no water getting to engine from out drive)
                sigpic

Link To Restoration Page

Comment

Well I lit the first fire of the season in my garage and started tearing down the outdrive.

As for the boat, it is getting stripped starting this weekend. The engine comes out tomorrow...
                  Last edited by Alpheus; March 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM.
                  sigpic

Link To Restoration Page

Comment

You sir, do not mess around.
                    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Re: 1969 Chieftain Restoration

What a neat place to work in. The impeller looks to bent to work anyway . good luck on the rebuild I had big Glasplys and a 23 ft reinell cabin boat and loved them all . Just got to old to handle ,now my 22 holiday is a fine boat. I need new top and drop curtian and I'm all set. Nice Boat. Most parlors do not look that nice. great place to meditate and work.

Comment

I love that engine stand on the outdrive. How hard is it to bolt up? Any special fabrication? I'm going to use that, my wife's going to love seeing the outdrive in the basement!

Nice progress. Keep up the good work.
                        18' Starcraft; 1971 Offshore V ; Proud member of the Starmada since Jan 2010 (Starmada phrase coined by ozenine)

Autism Speaks, It's time we listen.
                        Autism affects 1 in 70 boys.
                        MY Resto; 18' Offshore
                        Resto of a 12' Sea Scamp circa 1967 (Zach's boat)
                        67' 14' Sea Nymph-Big Water
                        Johnson CD-12, 1955 5-1/2 horse

Comment

Great looking Chieftain you have there a little elbow grease is all she needs good luck with the resto..

Scott
                          My '68 Holiday 18ft I/O Click here for loads of Photos on Flickr!

Comment

True to my word I got to work stripping this old girl down. I got home from work today at 1530 and got to removing the engine. This is the first time working on a pre Alpha engine removal but it went pretty smooth. I had it lifted out of the boat by 1640.

Had to remove the coupler and fly wheel to get the engine to fit on the stand.

Tomorrow I will start taking out the rest of the outdrive pieces...
                            sigpic

Link To Restoration Page

Comment

Well at this pace you should catch me by the end of the day tomorrow. Let's see, I've been working for about 10 months now, huh. Ouch!

Nice work al!
                              1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
                              1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild
                              1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
                              1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
                              1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)
                              1970's 12' Starcraft Sea Scamp
                              Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations

Comment

Very nice job and man what quick work. I do have a question for you, where did you get a cherry picker (lift) to go high enough to get it out of the boat? That would be great for my islander to pull the motor out with. Am thinking of just tearing mine all apart as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X