new project, is it worth it ?

handy83

Cadet
Im shopping for a project boat, came across a 1984 conroy x 17. poor shape though, needs completely gutted and restored. merc 120/4cyl gm. the rudder? is broken off the out drive, otherwise that part seems fine. the motor doesnt run, the seller doesnt have any idea why. on the original trailer wich looks like its in fair shape. fiberglass is oxidized but solid. he wants 750 for it. im thinking of offering 600. im a mechanic, so the motorwork doesnt scare me too much. from what i can tell its a common i/o setup so im hoping parts are easy to find and cheap. is it worth the money, or does it sound like its a bad idea? im new to the boating world and im looking to the experienced for some good advice. thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: new project, is it worth it ?

Im shopping for a project boat, came across a 1984 conroy x 17. poor shape though, needs completely gutted and restored. merc 120/4cyl gm. the rudder? is broken off the out drive, otherwise that part seems fine. the motor doesnt run, the seller doesnt have any idea why. on the original trailer wich looks like its in fair shape. fiberglass is oxidized but solid. he wants 750 for it. im thinking of offering 600. im a mechanic, so the motorwork doesnt scare me too much. from what i can tell its a common i/o setup so im hoping parts are easy to find and cheap. is it worth the money, or does it sound like its a bad idea? im new to the boating world and im looking to the experienced for some good advice. thanks for the help.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

I'd expect the hull to be rotted,...
But the parts alone are worth 'is askin' price, if you're inta parting it out....

If it turns out Any Better than that,.... You're Ahead...:D

handy83

Cadet

about the out drive... the portion that im guessing is called the rudder (the verry bottom portion of the cast housing) is mostly broken off. he told me that it happens, and a proper weldment can be purchased for 80$, or a stainless bolt on replacement for 40$. does that sound right ? again, im new to this stuff, so pardon my ignorance. i just wanna be cautiouse before i make a bad purchase.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're referring to the skeg.....and yes it's a commonly repaired item.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a decent project, the inline fours are easy to work on, as far as the skeg, a little story, as long as I have been boating (20+years) I broke my first one this year, lake was down and hit a rock, ordered a replacement bolt on skeg from Cabela's (skeggard brand) for 109.00 plus tax, takes only 10 minutes to install.

Check out my link in my signature and see what a 16 foot searay looks like tore apart.

You can do it if you have the time, patience, and are only slightly handy. We all started with limited experience. The guys here are great.

Good Luck.

Sail on.....tink