89 Sea Nymph GLS 195 Rebuild

tbull

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got this boat a little over 3 years ago, everything was rotted. Being a new boater, I simply through a new floor in it, and went fishing...I am a Tournament Fisherman, and the wear in tear this boat has sustained needs some attention. Since I cant afford a new one, and the facat that this boat means so much to me, I started a rebuild. And I love a project!

Last year I noticed that the aluminum brace that goes along the top of the transom was pulling away from the rest of the transom very bad. As a temporary fix, we cut out the bad section, and replaced it with some metal that we put over a break, and folded several times, this fixed the problem for a while. It just looked hideous, I removed it now and the transom is just completley shot. Needed to be replaced back then, especially since I put a 150hp Yamaha in place of an Evinrude 112hp.

But before that, I had to address the water logged foam that inhabited the boat underneath the floor. Man this was a nightmare to get out, as many of you know..I dont think it was as bad as many of you had encountered. It was soaked about 2 inches threw from the bottom up, the further back I got, the worse it got. Here are some shots of the before and after.

Attachments

• r15.jpg
    r15.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 3
  • r14.jpg
    r14.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 3
  • r11.jpg
    r11.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
  • r6.jpg
    r6.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 3
  • r7.jpg
    r7.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 3

tbull

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 Sea Nymph GLS 195 Rebuild

Luckily only took a couple days and I got most of it out, here are the after shots. And a pic of the boat I am working on..

Attachments

• r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 3
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
  • r8.jpg
    r8.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 3
  • r9.jpg
    r9.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 3
  • r13.jpg
    r13.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3

Bottom

Cadet

In on this thread too, have fun with it from a fellow USCA member!

tbull

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now I am at the transom which is confusing me the most. Turn out there is more foam inside the splash well that I am going to have to get to in order to remove a few screws that are holding on the transom towards the top. I still have no idea how I am going to do this, other than take apart some of the splash well to do so. A few screws/bolts along the bottom are so rusted that I cant even remove them, so I guess I will have to grind them off from the inside.

Another problem I have is you can see how the aluminum overlaps the transom on the top. I was suprised to see that, after I removed the corner pieces. How would you guys go about this, would you just cut it off since its covered with the corner piece when its all said and done? I dont understand how I could get the new one in with the aluminum overlapping like that, the old one will come out in pieces.

You can see in the pics how bad this transom really is. My hopes of getting it out in one piece is a joke at this point. I was hoping I had a good pattern to trace onto the new one.

Also what foam would you recommend I get to put back in? I would imagine its the pour in foam? I am definatley pinching pennies to complete this rebuild, but dont want to skimp on safety. If it takes me all winter than so be it. Once I get the transom, and the inside of the boat completed I will be painting it as well..I am fairly new here, and I appreciate any help you guys can give me through this process..

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 3
  • r16.jpg
    r16.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 3
  • r17.jpg
    r17.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 3
  • r18.jpg
    r18.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 3

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hey!

On my Starcraft I had to take the whole splashwell out and loosen the gunwall tops so they could be lifted up enough to slide in a new transom. As far as the foam I am going to put in the pink or blue sheet foam you get at the home centers. Your pics of digging out the foam brought back about four weeks worth of bad memories for me. LOL. Check out my resto thread when you get a minute. Good luck.

tbull

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey!

On my Starcraft I had to take the whole splashwell out and loosen the gunwall tops so they could be lifted up enough to slide in a new transom. As far as the foam I am going to put in the pink or blue sheet foam you get at the home centers. Your pics of digging out the foam brought back about four weeks worth of bad memories for me. LOL. Check out my resto thread when you get a minute. Good luck.

Hey thanks man, I pulled up your thread, and for some reason I cant see the pics. Infact I cant see any on most threads? Not sure what is goin on, I really want to see how you did your transom, and the rest of your boat for that matter lol...

I see you said you were putting in the sheet insulation foam. I am hearing from both sides, one saying its ok, and the other saying that it absorbs water, and there isnt much floatation...Any input on that?

Thanks again for posting.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The pink or blue sheet foam from HD or Lowe's will not absorb water like the older stuff did.

Some of us have gotten creative and used pool noodles to allow for proper drainage to the bilge in conjunction with the foam.

I would not go back with the purable or spray foam, since it does trap moisture under the deck. Main thing is to get the keel area clean and ope so water can flow to be pumped out when needed.

I am a huge fan of the Sea Nymph aluminum rigs, my dad had a '86 Fish-n-Ski 20' that we used in the Great Lakes for salmon. Many features of the hulls are very similar to Starcrafts, since the Schrock family started Sea Nymph after they sold SC.

Welcome to the site, plenty of good info around here.:)

Watchmehunt

Recruit
Guys, new to the forum and hope you can provide some direction. My dad and I restored a FNS195 for Canadian pile fishing. Last year she was docked and during some large waves the transom gusset was torn off ( the top plate that connects the transom to the sides of the boat) does anyone know where I can get replacements or how big of a job it will be to change them? Thanks in advance!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys, new to the forum and hope you can provide some direction. My dad and I restored a FNS195 for Canadian pile fishing. Last year she was docked and during some large waves the transom gusset was torn off ( the top plate that connects the transom to the sides of the boat) does anyone know where I can get replacements or how big of a job it will be to change them? Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard. This topic is almost 4 years old. You should start a new topic and include some pictures of the damage for the best advice.