1960 Valco Re-Paint inside/possibly outside

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New here and just purchased a 1960 13' Valco Rivet Aluminum boat.

Info:

Came with 30# Minn Kota, Battery, (2) swivel seats, pole holders, cup holders, fish/depth finder, trailer and some other stuff. Paid $575 for it all. Hope that is a decent deal. Took it out this last weekend with my dad and had a blast! Did not leak a drop of water and the troller got us around all day on the lake.

It has what looks like a teal/hammered paint job with different color flakes in it on the inside. The outside is still bare aluminum. The inside is chipping/flaking in spots (benches/floor) but otherwise strong and solid in the rest of the boat.

I want to put a new coat of paint in a different color to freshen up the inside. I have read through lots of posts here but am still a little confused. Can I leave the old solid paint in and just sand out the flaky stuff? Can I prime and paint over the old paint? I know I need some kind of acid etch primer for the bare spots...where/what brand do I get? Will this be the same primer I prime over the old paint with as well, or do I use a different primer for that? What kind of paint do I use on the inside? I like the texture of the stuff thats in there, does anyone possibly know what it is? I will try and get some pics up tonight of it.

I may want to paint the outside as well later. Same process or will that be a different paint that will be stronger and hold up to the water? Will the paint help prevent leaks? It doesn't leak now, but it is 50 years old ;).

Thanks for all the help. This will be a dad/son project. This is my first boat and you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable out here.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1960 Valco Re-Paint inside/possibly outside

Pictures!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats a nice looking boat . I would try to shine up the outside if it was mine. I got a thing for shiny metal rather then paint. as far as the inside your at the right place. try a search for prepping and painting aluminum . someone who has done this before will post some helpful tips soon . meanwhile have fun with her.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I'm really happy I snagged it up. I like the shiny metal look myself too. I was more thinking of a preventative leak coating/paint. But why fix what ain't broken right? ;) I'll search and see what I come up with for cleaning and polishing up the exterior. Its in really good shape and no dents or anything. Im really surprised how good of shape the boat is for being so old.

Sooo, the inside is what will be getting the attention. Not sure what color I should go with on the interior.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still a little confused if I can just sand out the loose paint and paint over the existing good paint? I dont really want to try and strip out all of the solid paint. I will get some good aluminum primer for the bare spots. What kind of paint can I use for the inside? Any paint or does it have to be specific for boat/water?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Sadly, the Valco/Kalmuth factory just closed their doors due to the economy ...... :( They are very good boats!

Yes, you can sand the old paint and paint over it but, any bare aluminum should be primed with a zinc chromate primer before painting. Rustoleum makes a decent marine paint and it will stand up to quite a bit of abuse. You can even add a bit of not slip additive to the deck surface for safety........

Now if you feel creative....... there are some automotive trunk paints that will give a splatter/texture effect that can be used.

Any paint you do not remove needs to be feathered out or it will show up through the new paint.

I would not use any waterproof coating type paint however do a search for gluvit on this restore section and that is what most use to seal and prevent future leaks. It will require paint applied over the top of it since it does not have any UV inhibitors in it.

I would advise against the urge to use bed liner since it could create nightmares for future repairs and we have read many reports of it separating when applied to aluminum.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!

One other quick question. I have had the boat out about 3 times now. Love it! There is a little bit of seepage coming through at the base of the transom. After 6-7 hours there is maybe a 1/4 cup of water. Literally nothing really, but there is a tiny puddle.

Anything to worry about? I know there will always be SOMETHING, but was just curious if I need to do something about it now or it might get worse?

I did just order some 3M 5200 Sealant that I will put around the rivets on the outside and what I can get to on the inside.

I have looked at the Gluvit stuff... seems like very good stuff. Just not sure I need to go that far yet.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well, once again I will allude to gluvit....... however, since you are going to paint the interior...... use the 5200 on the inside. BTW Home Depot sells 5200 in small tubes .....it is usually with the epoxies and glue.

Prior to applying anything I would also suggest that you re-buck the rivets to make sure they are nice and tight. 2 people, a hammer and something to back the rivets.......

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I think that is the route I will go. I will use the sealer on the inside and paint over it.

Now I just need to figure out a color! ;) Was thinking black, or something else dark that will not reflect the sun back into my face. Not sure though...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Black will be WAY too hot. I like the classic light blue color that's there now. Light gray would be ok as well.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah! Good point! I do like this color... I'll most likely stick with this then. Will I need a clear coat over the top of the paint?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Clear coats don't hold up well and make touch-ups more difficult. I'd skip it.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I just got the bottle of 5200 and see it says nothing about aluminum. Looked it up and found out its not good for aluminum??? Thought that was one of the recommended fixes here? I dont want to use this and then paint over it and have it all peel up because this stuff didn't adhere to the metal. Hope I can return it.

So the Gluvit stuff... Do I have to strip it all to bare metal to use it? Or can I just put it over the existing paint/bare metal. Do I prime the bare metal first and then use Gluvit?

I just want to seal up wherever the little weep is coming from and paint the inside of the boat.

Huron Angler

Admiral

3M 5200 will adhere to aluminum. Gluvit is best for what you're doing, Bob is right about that. I am a huge fan of Gluvit since it keeps both my tin cans dry on the inside.:)

I love the Valco hulls, I wish we had some around this area. Might have to drag one home from the west coast someday. Very nice lines on those rigs.

Good luck and keep posting photos.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gluvit it is then... Would rather do it right the first time and have years of fun with no leaks :D.

So... back to the proper way to use Gluvit. Do I need to strip ALL old paint off of seams and rivets? Or do I just clean really well and then apply it? I see it is fine going on a clean prepped aluminum surface, but I'm not sure I really want to go and try to get all this old paint out. Its really strong and solid on most spots except what you see in the pics.

Can I just wire brush the rivets and seems to bare aluminum for the Gluvit? Thats all i'm applying it to anyway correct? So i wouldnt need to worry about the walls or anything else right? I am hoping to keep this boat for a LONG time. It is 50 years old already and in great shape, I want to keep it that way. ;)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'd get the paint off the rivets and seams prior to the gluvit being applied. If the paint is sticking well in other areas leave it and paint over after scuffing it and degreasing/cleaning. Vinegar/water mix works well for this.

Wire wheel or a flapper sanding attachment will both work great on a cordless drill.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great! Thanks for all the advice! Have my plan of attack now :D

I am thinking about going with a good gray color now maybe... Just saw some pics of someone else boat that had a nice flat gray that was a little darker than the aluminum on the outside. Thought that looked really nice.

Please look at the process I have in my head and correct anything that is wrong or in the wrong spot or needs added. I have some questions in there as well, hopefully you can help with. You all are great.

-Scuff and sand ALL areas to get loose paint out
-Wire brush paint off of all rivets and seams to bare aluminum.
-Dawn soap and water wash entire inside
-50/50 water vinegar wash? (Is this before or after a soap wash? Soap wash even needed with a vinegar wash?)
-Apply Gluvit to all seams and rivets
-Scuff Gluvit after cured
-Wash boat again?
-Prime bare aluminum with aluminum etching primer (do i need to prime the Gluvit and old paint? Or is just scuffing fine? If I do primer, can I use the same aluminum etching primer?
-Do I need to scuff primer? If so, wash again after? (If so, wash with what?)
-Paint coat 1. Scuff after first coat? Wash again?
-Paint coat 2
-Done :)

Also, How many quarts of paint will I need for 2-3 good coats?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

-Scuff and sand ALL areas to get loose paint out
-Wire brush paint off of all rivets and seams to bare aluminum.
-Apply Gluvit to all seams and rivets
-Scuff Gluvit after cured
-Prime bare aluminum with aluminum etching primer. A light dusting is all that's needed with this stuff. I got mine cheaply in a rattle can from Pep Boys. Duplicolor.
-Prime with Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer
-Paint with Rustoleum Professional
-2nd coat with Rustoleum Professional

As for the cleaning and if you need to sand the primer....I'm not sure. I'd read the cans. Advice here not gospel. Just what I'd do. (not what I've done. My paint job fell off so this is what I'd do THIS time ;))

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got some wire brushes and extension for the power drill... This stuff is on there good! Having a hard time getting the paint off around the seems and rivets. Worried all the vibrations are going to create leaks that werent there.

Is it ok that I am climbing in and out of the boat while its on the trailer? I dont want to put stress on stuff and cause leaks that werent there either.

What I am seeing... I am getting the paint off, but it seems there is still a little line of paint at the base going around the rivet. If I dont get this off, the Gluvit will not be able to get into the seems around the rivet correct?

How important is it to get every single little line of paint off from around the rivets? Or will the Gluvit still do what it is supposed to?

This is a pain in the butt!