new (to me) sea star 15 foot transom replacement

deepcreek

Cadet
ok so i picked this boat up and im in dire need of help on it, i took a few pics, can someone help me as to how to replace the transom on this thing it looks like i can just replace a piece of ply-wood? but how could i strengthen it up?, thanks jeff

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01612.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: new (to me) sea star 15 foot transom replacement

Jeff,

Welcome to iBoats! Lots of help on here for transom replacements. First off if the transom is bad you will really need to check your deck and stringers as well. The usual and easiest method for getting to the transom fro replacement is removing the top cap. You do this by removing the rubber Rub Rail from the perimeter of the boat and removing the HUNDREDS of rivets or screws that hold the aluminum retainer. The top cap may or may not be glass to the hull so you may have to cut it off with a sawzall. Once the top cap is remove you will be able to to easily get to the transom. It IS made of plywood, usually two layers of 3/4 inch. You can use Exterior Grade plywood and coat it with Poly or Epoxy resin and Glass. Two coats of resin and glass is enough. Use thickened resin to glue it back in and to fillet the edges and then glass it back to the the hull. If you search the forum for Transom Replacement and Stringer replacement you will find PLENTY of PICS and information on how to accomplish this task.

Good Luck with your project

I'm just sayin...:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi Jeff..welcome to Iboats..

Inside trans pic would be nice :)

Please dont use a sawzall on this.

I think you could do this with just replacement of the trans from the inside. glass glass....glass.. :)

Pics though...

YD.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I agree, post some pics of the inside of the transom.

I see that the boat has the old wire cable steering system. Although it is OK if in good working condition, that type steering is more likely to break in use than the newer rotary or rack cable system. But it also depends on the year of motor you put on the boat. Most motors made in the 80's and up all have a "steering tube " built into the tilt pivot of the motor. This is a standard size and will accept any Teleflex or U-flex brand steering system. If you go with a motor from the 60's or even 70's, they probably won't have a steering tube and require the use of your existing wire steering system, or a conversion kit to allow a newer cable system to work on an older motor.

Just something to keep in mind when getting a motor.

BTW, pretty neat looking boat. Should be nice and stable on the water.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I did NOT mean to cut the top off with a sawzall I meant that if the seal between the cap and the hull was sealed with resin he could use a sawzall to cut the resin from between the cap and the hull. Sorry if I was not clear on this. Based on his pics, Getting to his transom will be very difficult without removing the cap due to his very large splashwell, unless he wants to cut the cap and pour seacast, or the transom can be removed and replaced with the splashwell still in place. Even so it is still a PITA doiing it with it in place having to crawl back under that splasywell. But as previously said pics of the inside looking back at the transom would greatly help to tell the tale.

I'm just sayin...

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks to me like he has a big splash well , so cap removal will be neccersary. but pics of inside i agree are a must.

deepcreek

Cadet

thanks guys alot!, ill get some good pics, of the inside in the AM, and from what you guys have said i think it just might be possible to replace it without taking the cap off, im up for a challenge anyway, but ill get pictures and post in the AM, and the steering was my next question, this one doesnt work the best. so im assuming replace?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep. Get a nice single cable rotary system. I put the Uflex one in my boat and it was easy installation and works great.

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm working on my first boat resto, so I'm FAR from an expert. But I removed the cap from the hull in order to get at my transom. Just like Wood suggested, I used a sawzall to seperate the two because it had chopped strand sealing between the hull and cap. Removal of the cap was, by far, the correct decision!! I strongly suggest you remove yours. It's so easy to do! And besides, there are so many things that will frustrate you as your resto moves forward, why not eliminate the ones that are easy.....(I dare ya to count how many times you bang your head on the underside of the splashtray).....lol.........j/k.....:p

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

deepcreek

Cadet

here ya guys go, i peeled some of the resin back so you could see it, i dont think it would be to difficult to replace it, not sure, but here ya go

DSC01637.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on your pics...

attachment.php

attachment.php

After fabricating the new transom you will need to determine if you can get the NEW transom back up under that lip, with the necessary resin behind it to glue it, and the get it clamp properly. I stll believe it would be easier, NOT, totally necessary, just easier, to remove the cap to do your transom replacement.

Attachments

• cap2.JPG
    cap2.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Lip.JPG
    Lip.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 0

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Based on your pics...

attachment.php

attachment.php

After fabricating the new transom you will need to determine if you can get the NEW transom back up under that lip, with the necessary resin behind it to glue it, and the get it clamp properly. I stll believe it would be easier, NOT, totally necessary, just easier, to remove the cap to do your transom replacement.

I fully agree with Wood. After doing my first one (with the cap off) I wouldn't touch it without removing the cap.

I wish you luck, and look forward to seeing your progress.

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi deepcreek , have you checked out your stringers to see if they are good. if they are good you will need to remove cap to get new transom in . reason i say this your stringers and port and starboard deck come up to it. maybe looking at it wrong . i would listen to what wood says and remove cap

deepcreek

Cadet

ok, i think im gonna get a die grinder and go to town and just cut at it a little and see where it leaves me, and if all fails the cap is coming off, and what do you guys exactly mean by stringers?

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stringers run the lenghth of boat, wood glass encased .search for some post regarding bad stringers

deepcreek

Cadet

stringers run the lenghth of boat, wood glass encased .search for some post regarding bad stringers

i seen you ahve to cut the floor? i dont think im going to get into it that deep at first when i first got this boat i wasnt even going to do this i was just gonna put a trolling motor on it, but iv changed my mind,the main problem is im on a time schedule and i gotta get it done, im going to start on it tomorrow after work, and thanks alot guys im sure ill need some more help with this transom