Aluminum Oxidation refurb and polishing

FL2AK

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I'm in Tampa, FL and I have recently received a Michi Craft DE 17 canoe (virtually identical to a Grumman), build date of May 1985, from a friend; it has spent the past 15 years upside down, under a tree, with vines growing all over it. I need somme advice on a few problems I am having.

1.) There are little mildewy things with tiny strings growing out of the scratches in the hull. I've been scouring them with a synthetic equivalent of 000 steel wool and bleach white, which is working. However, I'm concerned that I'm damaging the hull. I've read that most aluminum boats (this is my first one) have a thin layer of corrosion barrier on the metal, at least on one side. How much abrasion will that layer take before it's gone? (I've tested a 12" x 6" area near the keel; it cleaned up pretty nice, and I polished it with Flitz aluminum polish, but now, it's so shiny I can see myself in it, and I'm afraid I went too far.) If I have damaged the corrosion barrier in that area, what do you recommend for a repair?

2.) The interior bottom of the hull is completely covered with white, dusty oxidation, which is not responding well at all to the 000 wool and bleach white. I have some No. 1 wool but, for reasons stated above, I'm leery. I'm planning to paint the interior side, to reduce glare, so I'm thinking about just etching the entire inside with Aluma Prep 33 (aircraft product) and then treating it all with Alodine (aircraft product that prepares aluminum for paint bonding). Afterward, I would just paint it with some dull gray tempo or something similar. Does this sound appropriate?

3.) Last question. It has rather large decks from the bow and stern apexes that join with flimsy, cosmetic bulk heads that encase floatation blocks. I need to remove the decks because there are insect nests well embedded in there, and I can't hose them out. I've noticed that they've used pop rivets (only place on the boat where pop rivets were used in lieu of aircraft rivets) to secure the decks-can someone tell me what size, grade, and material (I assume aluminum) replacement rivets I might use?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Aluminum Oxidation refurb and polishing

Ayuh,.... My answer for questions 1,+ 2 is,... Leave it Alone....

In the 1st case, you've scrubed away not only the layer of protection you talk of, but base metal as well...
That's why it's now Shiney...

It's been just Fine for 25 Years as bare aluminum,... Leave it that way...
Paintin', 'n polishin' just brings more headaches, 'n heartaches for No good reason at All...

As for the Rivets,.... They just plain ole aluminum Pop-rivets you buy at the local hardware store...
As for the size,... Donno, can't see 'em from here... I'd Guess either 1/8" or 3/16"....

FL2AK

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... My answer for questions 1,+ 2 is,... Leave it Alone....

In the 1st case, you've scrubed away not only the layer of protection you talk of, but base metal as well...
That's why it's now Shiney...

It's been just Fine for 25 Years as bare aluminum,... Leave it that way...
Paintin', 'n polishin' just brings more headaches, 'n heartaches for No good reason at All...

As for the Rivets,.... They just plain ole aluminum Pop-rivets you buy at the local hardware store...
As for the size,... Donno, can't see 'em from here... I'd Guess either 1/8" or 3/16"....

Okay, well what do I do about that 12 x 6 test area then?

Bondo

Staff member

Okay, well what do I do about that 12 x 6 test area then?

Ayuh,... Frame it,..?? :D

It'll start to age, Very Quickly.... Only you will ever know it was there by next year....;)

FL2AK

Seaman Apprentice

Will that hold true if I put a corrosion preventative on it, or should I leave it untreated until matches again?

LangDog

Cadet

As long as the looser oxidation is taken off with a scotch bright pad, not to the point of polishing, just cleaning, it can be properly primed and painted over. I have done 2 aluminum mower blocks and my aunts old, aluminum clad windows. Polishing is fine for accents but certainly not for the amount of surface area you have.

The strarcraft club may chime in and say noooo u must fully sand or sand blast before preparing for paint. I'm talking from experience that it will bond fine if you get all loose stuff off, wash and degrease before primer. You may even want to tackle the outside since you say it looks pretty bad. Good luck!!

P.S. Maybe some pictures of the progress? :)

FL2AK

Seaman Apprentice

As long as the looser oxidation is taken off with a scotch bright pad, not to the point of polishing, just cleaning, it can be properly primed and painted over. I have done 2 aluminum mower blocks and my aunts old, aluminum clad windows. Polishing is fine for accents but certainly not for the amount of surface area you have.

The strarcraft club may chime in and say noooo u must fully sand or sand blast before preparing for paint. I'm talking from experience that it will bond fine if you get all loose stuff off, wash and degrease before primer. You may even want to tackle the outside since you say it looks pretty bad. Good luck!!

P.S. Maybe some pictures of the progress? :)

Well,for the interior that I am going to paint, I'm going to use alumaprep. I have an aircraft maint. background and it's a product I know pretty well.

As for the pics, sure! I have been photographing and posting on my facebook page. How do I post them here and in what forum area?