Creating Bow Rail Curve?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I need to replace the starboard side of my (aluminum) bow rail. The curvature of the bow is fairly gradual and the rail is mounted in four spots (per side) then joined with the opposite side via angled bow rail cap. My question is; how is the rail bent? Is it just straight stock that uses the mounts to hold the curve or is it something that gets bent first and then installed? Thanks.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Creating Bow Rail Curve?

Gradual bends in pipe and bar stock are normally done using a roll bender. It consists of three rollers that are pressed together and rolled to cause a gradual bend. They are capable of making long gradient bends.

R-M10_lr.jpg

The best option is to buy the stock and have it bent. But there are other methods. One thing unique about benders made for marine handrails and the like is that they have hard plastic rollers rather than steel ones. The rollers are made to prevent damage to polished pipe.
I have the same challenge ahead of me. I need to make new handrails myself. I have looked in to it and the best option in my opinion is to have them made, rather than do it myself. Unless of course, I get motivated enough to try and make my own bender. Those things have to be expensive!