Paint code for OMC Cobra Outdrive

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone tell me if a 1988 Cobra outdrive uses moeller 025478 (OMC Charcoal non-metalic) or 025479 (OMC Charcoal Metallic) paint?

Does R-M or BASF have a paint code for the Cobra?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Paint code for OMC Cobra Outdrive

Don't know, but unless you plan on entering it in a show, go with what you like! Rattlecan Rustoleum works good too.

Oh yeah - welcome aboard! :cool:

whitney

Seaman

I've been touching my 92 Cobra up with Duplicolor dark grey metallic wheel paint from Advance Auto. It's not perfect but it's a 95% match and looks great.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've been touching my 92 Cobra up with Duplicolor dark grey metallic wheel paint from Advance Auto. It's not perfect but it's a 95% match and looks great.

I bet the fish like it too when its in the water.

whitney

Seaman

I bet the fish like it too when its in the water.

Hey I spend more time staring at the back of the boat parked in my workshop than I actually do using it, so I gotta make it look nice :) Next step is to compound and polish the hull so it sparkles :D

I will admit it's an obsession. I go out to my garage every night and make things look nicer whether it matters or not.

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought the non metallic, but I think the Metallic is the proper match. I want this drive to look like new and as close to original as I can get it.

Does anyone know what the Cobra non-metallic paint is actually for?

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I used metallic.... I rattle can overhauled it.. Looks damn good too.. Lots of coats and lots of clear.. You could spit on it and it would roll off.. :D

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still struggling to get the right paint. I have bought both Moeller paints, (25479 Cobra Metallic 1984 -1994) and 25478 OMC Cobra Charcoal non Metallic 1986-2004.

I wonder if the metallic is for the out drive and the non-metallic for the engine?
The color on the cap show the metallic as being a bit darker.

I really hate to use an aerosol for this application in the first place, but does anyone know for sure what paint for the outdrive?

a70eliminator

Captain

I took my waterpump cover in to the local auto body and paint supplier, they used some sort of lazer that computer generates the mix to clone the exact color, they put the numbers in and the machine automatically dispenses the correct amounts of color, it's amazing they can do that, you have to go to a paint and body supplies retailer, it's called a paint chip match, I sprayed it one of those little co2 guns, catalyst hardened enamel dry and rock hard in about an hour.
Downside was I had to buy 1 quart minimum to do the mix, I have a bunch left.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Downside was I had to buy 1 quart minimum to do the mix, I have a bunch left.

High quality paint gets expensive fast - especially catalyzed stuff.

To the original poster - if the match is not exact, why not paint the entire outdrive? Then you don't have to worry about anything matching. I guess I miss the point. :confused:

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am just trying to make it look as close to original as I can. I am painting the entire outdrive as it needs it.

Thanks to another poster, I am leaving on the original primer, as it seems to be of very high quality.

Matt t

Recruit

Did you figure it out yet? I am interested in doing the same in the spring.

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you figure it out yet? I am interested in doing the same in the spring.

Not really, I bought both the metallic and the non-metallic. I just used the metallic for the first time tonight, and it is quite pronounced. I am going to return the other non-metallic stuff.

I wish I know what they both were for? Funny the metallic states from 1985 to 1994, and the non metallic from 1986 to 1994

wilkboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought the Moeller metallic for an '88 Bayliner w/Cobra 5.0 and it matched very well. It's not very durable though, if you leave the outdrive down when you drive up the ramp....the concrete will grind the paint(and skeg) off. :(

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not very durable though, if you leave the outdrive down when you drive up the ramp....the concrete will grind the paint(and skeg) off. :(

I think that would happen no matter what paint was used...