• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Paint code for OMC Cobra Outdrive

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint code for OMC Cobra Outdrive

Can anyone tell me if a 1988 Cobra outdrive uses moeller 025478 (OMC Charcoal non-metalic) or 025479 (OMC Charcoal Metallic) paint?

Does R-M or BASF have a paint code for the Cobra?
    1989 Four Winns 170 Cobra 3.0

Re: Paint code for OMC Cobra Outdrive

Don't know, but unless you plan on entering it in a show, go with what you like! Rattlecan Rustoleum works good too.

Oh yeah - welcome aboard!

Comment

I've been touching my 92 Cobra up with Duplicolor dark grey metallic wheel paint from Advance Auto. It's not perfect but it's a 95% match and looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by whitney View Post
        I've been touching my 92 Cobra up with Duplicolor dark grey metallic wheel paint from Advance Auto. It's not perfect but it's a 95% match and looks great.
        I bet the fish like it too when its in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by sethjon View Post
          I bet the fish like it too when its in the water.
          Hey I spend more time staring at the back of the boat parked in my workshop than I actually do using it, so I gotta make it look nice Next step is to compound and polish the hull so it sparkles

I will admit it's an obsession. I go out to my garage every night and make things look nicer whether it matters or not.

Comment

I bought the non metallic, but I think the Metallic is the proper match. I want this drive to look like new and as close to original as I can get it.

Does anyone know what the Cobra non-metallic paint is actually for?

Comment

I used metallic.... I rattle can overhauled it.. Looks damn good too.. Lots of coats and lots of clear.. You could spit on it and it would roll off..
              sigpic

87 Four Winns 170 Horizon 4.3 OMC COBRA"Only Child"
              only thing GM I own.. Of course it's the only one that gives trouble..
              2004 Ford STX 4x4.
              2011 Candy Apple Ford Mustang GT
              Hope all you want.. It won't get it fixed..

Comment

Still struggling to get the right paint. I have bought both Moeller paints, (25479 Cobra Metallic 1984 -1994) and 25478 OMC Cobra Charcoal non Metallic 1986-2004.

I wonder if the metallic is for the out drive and the non-metallic for the engine?
                The color on the cap show the metallic as being a bit darker.

I really hate to use an aerosol for this application in the first place, but does anyone know for sure what paint for the outdrive?

Comment

I took my waterpump cover in to the local auto body and paint supplier, they used some sort of lazer that computer generates the mix to clone the exact color, they put the numbers in and the machine automatically dispenses the correct amounts of color, it's amazing they can do that, you have to go to a paint and body supplies retailer, it's called a paint chip match, I sprayed it one of those little co2 guns, catalyst hardened enamel dry and rock hard in about an hour.
                  Downside was I had to buy 1 quart minimum to do the mix, I have a bunch left.
                  '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                  5.8 Cobra
                  '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                  80hp V-4
                  (No private messages)

Comment

Originally posted by a70eliminator View Post
                    Downside was I had to buy 1 quart minimum to do the mix, I have a bunch left.
                    High quality paint gets expensive fast - especially catalyzed stuff.

To the original poster - if the match is not exact, why not paint the entire outdrive? Then you don't have to worry about anything matching. I guess I miss the point.

Comment

I am just trying to make it look as close to original as I can. I am painting the entire outdrive as it needs it.

Thanks to another poster, I am leaving on the original primer, as it seems to be of very high quality.

Comment

Did you figure it out yet? I am interested in doing the same in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt t View Post
                          Did you figure it out yet? I am interested in doing the same in the spring.
                          Not really, I bought both the metallic and the non-metallic. I just used the metallic for the first time tonight, and it is quite pronounced. I am going to return the other non-metallic stuff.

I wish I know what they both were for? Funny the metallic states from 1985 to 1994, and the non metallic from 1986 to 1994

Comment

I bought the Moeller metallic for an '88 Bayliner w/Cobra 5.0 and it matched very well. It's not very durable though, if you leave the outdrive down when you drive up the ramp....the concrete will grind the paint(and skeg) off.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkboater View Post
                              It's not very durable though, if you leave the outdrive down when you drive up the ramp....the concrete will grind the paint(and skeg) off.
                              I think that would happen no matter what paint was used...

Comment

Working...
                              X