Book: "Runabout Renovation" - questions

designcoup

Recruit
I am getting ready to replace the deck of a 1970s Lucraft runabout. At the suggestion of this forum, I have studied the excellent book, "Runabout Renovation." The author was in the restoration biz for many years.

The book diverges from some of the advice I have found here:
- The author strictly uses polyester resin -- most of what I have read suggests using epoxy.
- The author uses 2 coats of wood preservative on his replacement plywood deck and pressure-treated for the framing. Suggestions here point to using resin to protect wood before installation.
- Author presents marine carpet (and vinyl) as the only practical choices for the deck covering. Are there other choices?

Thanks for your advice,
Bruce M.
Atlanta

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Book: "Runabout Renovation" - questions

hi.....welcome to iboats.

the forums here are far more descriptive than the book.
you will find the details you need here.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok....now i have a bit more time so i can expand what i wanted to say.

jim anderson did an exellent job on that book. especially in the area of the idea....you CAN do it.

but.....

it is an older book, but most things still ring true.
however i found the book lacked the specific details necessary to carry a person thru the renovation start to finish.....i can only imagine his editor left half of the book out.

first of all......the forum is currently divided between epoxy and poly resin.....:eek::D:D.....there are several threads (some heated...some civil) on the benefit's and down fall between the two.

the choice is yours...i would suggest you read closely here on the forum to make your decision. what ever you choose...there will be more than enough step by step help for you here.

the pt ply vs ext grade vs marine plywood is another debate as well....though not so heated.
pt is great under the deck.....however the drying time it needs is its down fall for a quicker build.

as far as the deck covering.......that has many choices. but it depends on what you use the boat for and what you like.
you can glass it, gellcoat it...., rhino line it, carpet it...ect
but again usage is the main factor on deciding what kind of decking you use.
for example.....if you are a pleasureboater that likes to pull the kids around on a tube with wifey relaxing on the sunpad.......carpet is more than likely your best bet for comfort.
if you are an avid fisherman....straight gellcoat or natolex (vynal) is allways a good bet.

.....a few quick things.......resin coating by it self....DOES NOTHING. poly resin needs glass or it is brittle and will crack.

MY suggestion on decking is 2 layers of csm ...a 6 oz finishing veil and gellcoat....then carpet or do what ever you want....but you do need a minimum of 8 oz glass down on the deck. for wear and water intrusion prevention.

hop[e that has answered some of your questions, i know we are all looking forward to seeing your project up on a thread here.

cheers
oops

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I am currently reading this book also, I have found I have learned more skimming through the restoration threads than in the book. Oops hull extension thread has been extremely helpful and has given me a better understanding of fiberglass work. Maybe we can get someone to publish his hull extension thread into a book ;:rolleyes: