Fiberglass Floor Mat Weight

shallowgrave

Cadet
Ive searched a ton of deck replacement threads and not one lists what weight of glass people have used for flooring, 8oz. maybe 1" and 1/2" oz.? And how many layers will i need for a floor. I hear epoxy is more expensive, but if i need two layers of 8oz cloth ofr a floor at 22.00 a yard, for a 12' long deck id spend 200 buck on mat alone. west systems epoxy kit runs $150 from overtons? why wouldnt i just use epoxy?

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Fiberglass Floor Mat Weight

In short, resin will eventually crack (even epoxy) if it's used without reinforcing glass. Epoxy will work ok alone for a while, but eventually it will develop issues.

The cheapest way to do the deck is with light mat (1 or 2 oz) and poly resin... it's UV resistant and you can gelcoat over it.

You don't need many layers for strength unless you're using unusually thin plywood or something... the glass is just there to resist abrasion.

If you use epoxy, don't use mat, use thin cloth.

Erik

shallowgrave

Cadet

right just learned the difference in cloth and mat, ebay seller has 8 oz mat f0r 4.50 a yard buying enough for two layers on top of 3/4" ply should be enough right?

erikgreen

Captain

Also worth noting... look around for glass and epoxy or poly supplies. West Marine is expensive and has mediocre quality.

Most folks here like US Composites. Their 8oz cloth costs $5.15 a yard, and you could get by with 4 oz, which is $5.90 a yard. Mat is $3.40 a yard from them. They're also cheaper than almost anywhere for epoxy, and quite good for poly, too.

Erik

erikgreen

Captain

You don't need two layers... just one layer on each side. 8 oz is ok, but overkill...

shallowgrave

Cadet

really? a layer on the bottom, in the threads i have read no one ever says to cloth or mat the bottom, just paint a layer of catalyzed resin on it. Can anyone else confirm or deny the necessity of the bottom layer of glass cloth?

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too have only read that you only need to resin the bottom and sides. What gives here?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

In short, resin will eventually crack (even epoxy) if it's used without reinforcing glass. Epoxy will work ok alone for a while, but eventually it will develop issues.

Sorry, but I have to take exception to this statement. I don't know a lot about epoxies, but my father-in-law has been using them extensively (one of his main business activities at one point) since the 1950's and I've seen things he's done without glass almost 30 years ago, exposed to weather outside, that don't have surface issues.

I guess time will tell for sure.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It all depends on how long you want it to last.

The floor (I'll use floor, I know its not correct) in boat can take a great deal of abuse, seats are bolted to it, people walk on it, its a structural member in the design, plus it will have water above and below it much of the time. Now imagine the beating it takes at speed in rough water.

Either type of resin relies on film thickness to prevent water from reaching the wood, with epoxy being stronger, more water resistant, and with a better bond, it will do a better job.

Both work when used correctly though.

If you look at the charts on water resistance for epoxy it shows you need something like 7 coats for it work well, and yes, thinned epoxy is much less water resistant than un-thinned epoxy.

When you need to build up a thick layer of either type of resin cracking can become an issue, a little less so with epoxy, but its still a problem.

Using glass allows you create a thicker layer of either resin and not have to worry about it cracking. It also adds strength to the structure.

People that apply only polyester resin to plywood will be disappointed rather soon when it cracks and peels off, epoxy will last longer, but if the area is stressed you end up with the same results.

When only resin is used on the underside you will never know how well it holds up unless you keep it long enough for it to need a new floor, which is unlikely since people don't keep boats all that long.

If I was going to use plywood as the floor, I would definitely use glass on both sides, its simple, the cost isn't high and there's no downside.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and that ^^^^ is why i suggest 8 oz....2 layers of 1 oz or 1.5 csm and a 6 oz finishing veil....they can be layed at the same time...and you will have a great surface to gellcoat.

imho resin coating the underside alone does nothing....it WILL crack...once it cracks...the whole job is toast

valkyre185SS

Recruit

Just read oops reply. Doing the same thing with a friend, his boat 86 Mark Twain; 16 ft bowrider. Thanks for the info oops!. On another note, what happened to the thread on Hull Extension? went to page 165 then it ended??? Is there another thread??? Last pic I saw was starting the interior, I think. I learned more in that thread than I could have in 100 lifetimes of experience, probably because there were over a thousand years of experience input into it, and OOPS! You Rock, hows the boat???