Complete Restoration of a 1955 Mahogany Speed Boat With Pictures!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Well folks, it is time for yet another restoration project. However, as much as I wish this boat was mine, it isn't. It is a good friend's that asked me to redo it for him.
It is a mid 50's solid Mahogany speedboat that is about 16' long and about 6' wide.
Somewhere along the life of this beauty, a thin layer of roving was applied to the side and bottom of the boat~I am assuming it was an attempt to seal her up, leaving the topside and inside the natural wood.
He has instructed me to paint the side and bottom-leaving the fiberglass....I was wondering what type of paint to use in this application? I was thinking of a thick paint-one that would seal things up to prevent possible leaks?
Also, the wood has lost all of its color, it is a very dull gray...although as I was removing some of the hardware (cleats, etc) I caught a glimpse of the natural color. Boy was she a beauty!!;) Anyway, I was wondering what grit sandpaper to use and I am assuming it is going to take several coats of stain to get some color to her...any reccomendations on a stain to use?

I have took some pictures of her but camera is not with me-will try and get them up tomorrow!!
I will also begin restoring the trailer tomorrow evening, hopefully I will remember to take somepictures of that task.

Im sure there will be many more questions as I progress, as I have never worked with a wood boat before.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

60Clipper

Seaman
Re: Complete Restoration of a 1955 Mahogany Speed Boat

Boatflipper,
Some pics would be very helpful. It will depend on the make of the boat as to what color to stain her. The Chris Crafts, Centry's and Garwoods all had their own color of Mahogany. I have a 1960 Wagemaker Clipper that was made in Grand Rapids Michigan right down the road from a Chris Craft plant so they used the Chris Cragt Red Mahogany color. If it is mahogany your going to want to use a filler stain. Interlux makes a filler stain called 573 Chris craft red, the 42 is the Garwood borwn and the 1579 is the Centry Red. Once you have the wood sanded back to a light reddish color you'll want to use the filler stain to fill in the grain so you have a smooth surface to work with before you start varnishing.
I sanded mine with 220 once the old varnish was stripped off. That may have been too smooth but it's fine so far. You can probably get away with 180 grit. The classicboatconnection.com site has some good info on it in its catalog. you can find what's in there cheaper at other places but shipping will be different.

Here is a link to restoration project and you can see what the wood looks like after stripping and sanding, the staining, and the varnishing.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=401809&highlight=1960+18'+wagemaker+clipper

That's only one coat of stain on my boat by the way, but it has 12 coats of varnish on her. I used Epifanes, not cheap but very nice stuff. I used 12 coats because I didn't want to have to revarnish her for a long time.;)

Hope that helps. Can't wait to see pictures of your project. I want an all wood boat next.:cool:

Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some pictures of the boat as I promised. ;)

008-3.jpg

003-6.jpg

009-1.jpg

004-7.jpg

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Complete Restoration of a 1955 Mahogany Speed Boat With Pictures!

Some more for everyone's enjoyment!

006-6.jpg

005-7.jpg

007-4.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and let me hear your suggestions!!

60Clipper

Seaman

Nice boat, good bone structure from what I can tell. Looks to be a molded Mahogany plywood hull and deck. Sanding with 180 should bring it back to its original light red color. Your definitely going to want to use the filler stain. You'll need to fill the grain so you have a smooth surface to varnish. It looks like there may have been a Kingboard down the center of the deck that may be missing. If not they probably filled the screw holes with Mahogany "bungs" or Mahogany colored wood filler. Can't really tell from the pics if they're filled or not. The back bench seat back is definitely not Mahogany plywood. Looks to be Pine from the grain pattern. If your going to paint them again no biggie. If your going to strip and stain, it won't match the rest of the Mahogony grain. Its going to need a good cleaning obviously. Is there any finish left on the inside? Looks like if there was it's mostly gone now. If there is any left you can either strip or sand it off your choice. You should be able to use bilge paint for the inside bottom and varnish the sides. Many of the old woodies are doen that way.

Well enough of my ramblings. Just cleaning and removing the hardware should keep you busy for quite a while.

Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bob for all the info. It really helps alot!

Here are some pictures of the trailer that I was able to paint today.
Now I just need to put all the hardware back on, then I will be ready to set the boat back on it (once I get the hull painted).

001-7.jpg

002-5.jpg

004-8.jpg

005-8.jpg

006-7.jpg

008-4.jpg

60Clipper

Seaman

Looks GREAT!!! Keep up the good work.

Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone have any thoughts on a good paint to use on the bottom and sides? Keep in mind there is a layer of fiberglass that will be lightly sanded down.
Looking for something to fill in some of the minor dips and such, as well as seal it up well. Is there such a thing?

60Clipper

Seaman

Interlux also makes a good product. I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I was able to get the front sheets of plywood off the bow portion of the boat. They are going to be replaced, and I am glad they were removed becasue once all of the braces were exposed, there were a lot of issues with them. Some were completely detached from the boat, simply hanging there, while the board that goes across the width of the boat, that the steering wheel and gauges are on, was completely detached and was being held up via the curvature of the hul...if that makes any sense....here are some pictuers to describe the issues.

Here you can see the board running down the middle is completely detached, as well as the brace spanning the width of the boat, is no longer attached at all.
004-10.jpg

001-8.jpg

Here you can get a better idea of how loose everything was under that plywood.
002-6.jpg

In this pictue you can see the board that the steering wheel is on completely detached from the boat. The port side of the boat was the same.
003-8.jpg

That is all for now, will update as progress is made!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As an avid woodworker your pics have me frothing at the mouth. I wish I was close to you. I would be volunteering everyday to help bring that girl back to life. YOU are a lucky man IMHO. Let me know if I can assist in any way. I rebuilt a boat almost just like her several years ago. It was a JOY!!! Be glad to share any knowledge I gained with you.

I'm just sayin...:D

60Clipper

Seaman

Sounds like the deck was the only thing holding it together!:eek: Good thing you removed it. Now you can get to the heart of the matter and get her back together. I'm jealous I too want to do an all wood boat. Someday I guess. Your doing great so far keep it up.

Bob

P.S., looks like your going to want to invest in a bunch of brass wood screws. ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

They ain't cheap but I would recommend silicon Bronze Screws for re-assembly and to predrill and epoxy them all.

I'm just sayin...:D

60Clipper

Seaman

Wood,
Good point, they would last longer than the brass and they're stronger.

Bob