fiberglass layup

minnowbreader

Recruit
hello I have a question about tabbing I'm using epoxy resin is it possible or a good idea to install more than one layer of tape as long as the epoxy has not fully cured? all of the work would be completed in about 2 hrs. could the epoxy achieve a chemical bond?

Thanks for any responses

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiberglass layup

hi....im not an epoxy guy...

but there is an annime blush that will come to the surface as the epoxy cures. this will prevent a good bond from happening.

if you need to add more than one layer of tape.... add it when the epoxy is still wet.......that way the annime blush can still come to the surface and the bond will be a chemical bond and essentially one peice.

JCNailen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't you sand the cured resin, then epoxy over it?

erikgreen

Captain

Depending on the epoxy you use, you may not get any blush. Typically the epoxies that blush are the cheaper or faster curing kinds. Slower epoxy won't blush much usually.

I use the US Composites medium speed stuff, and if less than 24 hours has passed it's more or less working wet on wet, and you can get a primary bond.

I do think you get a better bond working wet on wet within a shorter amount of time, like a few hours.

If your epoxy blushes you need to stop between layers and clean it off... or better yet, switch to a non blushing epoxy.

Erik

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Minnow..

What are you Tabbing ?

I dont thing 1 layer of " tape " is gonna do it no matter what..

Why Epoxy..there a reason for not using Poly ?

Peel ply would help if your under time conditions....

YD.