Waterlogged Foam in Bass boat

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice
I believe I have waterlogged foam in the hull of my bass boat. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or where to go from here? I noticed the boat was sitting a little lower in the water than it should, the motor when trimmed all the way down will not plane, but will plane when trimmed up a little higher. Any way to fix this and get the water out without spending a fortune? I think I have the leaks sealed, need a way to remove the water. I have the front of the boat propped up about 5 feet to try and drain any water i can out of the back, but at 1 drip of water every 15 seconds it will take a while! Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Waterlogged Foam in Bass boat

The foam has to come out. There is no way to dry it and it will never dry. Sorry.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

Ya that's a bummer, Ive read that before. How difficult is it to get the foam out and replace it? Is it worth it? Ive heard to put dehumidifiers in there for a while will help dry it out? Why in the world do they put foam in the boat that soaks up water and never dries? Why not fill it with a bunch of ping pong balls or something like that instead?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Honest answer? It will be real hard. Is it worth it? Only you know that. Do you really like the boat? It will never dry out. Not all the way. Maybe the very top but never all the way. Many of us are replacing it with closed cell sheet foam or pool noodles. Just read as many threads here in the resto section and you'll get a good idea what you'd be in for.