Best choice for protecting Mahogany?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I was fortunate enough to get 3 pieces of 1.5" x 3" x 30" mahogany boards. Very nice dense wood and straight as an arrow. Wondering what is the best finish to put on these boards if they are used to make an anchor pulpit. Just oil them? Coat in epoxy? How about resin and veil cloth?

Also would like to glue up a few pieces of light wood to get that classic striped affect, but not sure what to use for the light wood. Suggestions are needed and welcome!

This is for the 16' bayliner to hang the anchor out front (24" Danforth anchor). Not a real big anchor, obviously, but the underside of the bow deck will be supported with a large triangle shaped piece of PT 1/2 ply so the weight of the anchor does not rip the pulpit free in pounding waves. (actually, I think there already is plywood in the bow deck, just want to be sure it will work). And I am getting tired of carrying that anchor through the opening windshield every time the boat is anchored. ;)

Thanks,
Mark.

sasto

Captain
Re: Best choice for protecting Mahogany?

We use alot of mahogany around here that comes from the Caribbean. Some like treating it with oil and some like leaving it alone. I prefer the latter. Mahogany can last 40 years or so left untreated. Good luck on your decision.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would use Hard Rock Maple for to make your light wood strips for your striped effect. Would not use epoxy. NO UV protection. Epiphanes Marine varnish is what the Wood boaters use on their mahogany runabouts. Great UV protection. 4 to 5 coats should last a long time. Expensive but the best usually is.

I'm just sayin...:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

This wood is left over from a mahogany deck on a very upscale beach house. Stuff is very heavy, guess it's full of natural oils.

Normally the decks are just left to weather, but I want the pulpit to look nice, so I think the Epiphanes Marine varnish is the way to go. Kind of afraid of using epoxy or poly resins as a coating, because it may not stick to an oily wood. This wood is a medium/dark red, smooth even grain, and no knots anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just an update....

Apparently I am confusing the characteristics of Mahogany with Teak. I thought that Mahogany was a very oily wood, but that is not what I find on the web. Seems that sealing Mahogany with epoxy resin is a common practice in all wood boat building, as well as using Epiphanes Marine varnish. Seeing as I already have a gallon or so of marine epxoxy left from the hard top, and I am looking to use it up, I think it will be used on the Mahogany. If it doesn't hold up, then it will get sanded down and done again with Varnish.

Will let you know how it turns out.

BTW, I think this is the hardware that will be attached to the pulpit to hold the anchor:

62418.jpg

Specs:
http://www.sea-dog.com/PDF/328057.pdf

A pin holds the anchor in place, although another pin will be needed to hold the chain end of the anchor.

Then there is about 4 feet of chain that needs to be held, so it will be wrapped around the front of the anchor, and a cleat attached to the anchor pulpit.

Solid 304 Stainless, so it should hold up in the salt just fine.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Again Epoxy does NOT have UV protection and IS NOT recommended for exposure to Direct sunlight and WILL NOT last very long in your proposed usage. I PROMISE you that you will NOT be happy with the results. You will be MUCH better off with Multiple coats of the Epiphanes.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Again Epoxy does NOT have UV protection and IS NOT recommended for exposure to Direct sunlight and WILL NOT last very long in your proposed usage. I PROMISE you that you will NOT be happy with the results. You will be MUCH better off with Multiple coats of the Epiphanes.

So what you are saying is the Epoxy is the right product for the job, right?

:D

OK, seriously, how do the wood boaters get away with epoxy on the mahogany on their boats? There are lots of home built wood boats that are sealed with a veil of glass and a few coats of epoxy. Just wondering....

pic856-2.jpg

The hull is Sapele mahogany (6MM) 1088 plywood. The entire hull including the covering boards are covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. The deck is 1/4 inch mahogany strips glued to a 4MM subdeck.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

OK, never mind. I called the retailer for the epoxy I have and he said the same thing, it will yellow after about 2 years because it has no UV protection. The epoxy sold on the Glen-L website for building "trailer queen" wood boats is loaded with UV protection.

Interesting, the retailer of the epoxy I have said to just paint it with a coat or two of clear outdoor polyurethane paint and it will hold up fine without yellowing due to the protection of the UV in the poly paint.

I think either I will save the mahogany for another project and make the pulpit from ply and epoxy coat and paint with the matching hard top paint, or use the mahogany and use the varnish suggested in the above posts.

Thanks for the input!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, let me start over. You CAN use epoxy to cover the wood with glass mat. In fact, I would HIGHLY recommend you use a 6 oz mat to encapsulate it with. BUT then I would use the HIGH END Epiphanes Varnish with the UV protection. I am sorry if I did not make this clear. You are correct that the GLEN -L Boats are ALL made this way and this IS their recommended method but without the UV protected covering the Epoxy will yellow and go bad. With it, it will last and look good for years.

sasto

Captain

Mark,
Any protection for a single piece of mahogany isn't normally necessary. The wood darkens with age and time. Only gets more beautiful. You can seal it up and make it beautiful but... My bow pulpit gets banged up alot due to anchoring and if I had a mahogany pulpit I would only use tung oil and sandpaper regulary. Any finish you apply will make it look good until the first time you raise the anchor... sctatch it with the chain.... or bang it with the anchor. Then your back to sanding and treating again. If she were mine... I would do as you are thinking and use the wood for another project if you are looking for perfection.