1974 Penn Yan 23 Sportfish Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasto

Captain
In the process of restoring this boat for the Admiral. She can take the ladies fishing while I work, dosen't sound right. Boat and trailer was given to me by a guy that figured I needed another one. ( I take care of 5 boats that I run regulary, Captain one, and I need another one?) What are your thoughts....see photos at http://forums.iboats.com/album.php?albumid=471

sasto

Captain
Re: 1974 Penn Yan 23 Sportfish Restoration

Appears the motor is ready for a seatrial. I have damage on the keel from trailer not having a roller and the PO repaired it with something several times. My plans are after prepping I will use a cabosil/epoxy to fill in. Three overlapping layers of 1808 cut at 8,14, and 20 inches wide. Any suggestions otherwise?

Attachments

• keel damage.jpg
    keel damage.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • keel close up.jpg
    keel close up.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

The keel is an inside job, pull the tank etc.
Pennyans are worth the work.

sasto

Captain

The keel is an inside job, pull the tank etc.
Pennyans are worth the work.

The sole above this area is easily removable and I found a 2x4 glassed in above the keel. Survey says there is no moisture in the area. I guess a couple layers over the interior wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't plan on disturbing the exposed exterior wood, just putty and glass. Is this acceptable? Don't know much about Penn Yans. Thanks for the advice.

jonesg

Admiral

The sole above this area is easily removable and I found a 2x4 glassed in above the keel. Survey says there is no moisture in the area. I guess a couple layers over the interior wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't plan on disturbing the exposed exterior wood, just putty and glass. Is this acceptable? Don't know much about Penn Yans. Thanks for the advice.

What sort of surveyor says that?

The keel is missing, gone, absent.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with jonesq,

That Keel is GONE! It MUST be repaired from the INSIDE. Not sure what SURVEY you are referring to but if you paid someone to survey the boat and they Told you that the KEEL was sound and only needed outside repairs then you should report them to the proper authorities and have their license revoked. Of course I AM OLD and getting Senile and just looking at pictures so I MIGHT be wrong.

I'm just sayin...:D

sasto

Captain

Survey says "no moisture in wood". Can't sue the surveyer, a friend.

My conclusion was to repair the exterior damage. If I am wasting my time doing so, I'd like to know. After removing the floor we found the interior lay up to be solid with no voids or visible structural cracks.

Should I remove the glassed in keel and start over? This photo shows the damaged area under the sole. All advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• RSCN6675.JPG
    RSCN6675.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 0

sasto

Captain

I agree with jonesq,

That Keel is GONE! It MUST be repaired from the INSIDE. Not sure what SURVEY you are referring to but if you paid someone to survey the boat and they Told you that the KEEL was sound and only needed outside repairs then you should report them to the proper authorities and have their license :D

Surveyer didn't come to conclusions about the repair process, You and I did.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The area you are showing in your last picture, is that directly above the area that is damaged on the outside? If so, then I stand corrected and I believe you could in fact do some sanding and some laminating and filling to do that repair.

jonesg

Admiral

Its an inside job if you want it done right.
If it was on the side of the hull a cobble job would get you by but its the backbone of the hull.

Its not that hard , cut the laminated stringer part away, grind out the damaged glass ( anything thats white) and bevel it back.
Restore the inner keel to the same thickness as the rest.
and just redo the center stringer after glassing over the hole.
Then do the outside.

jonesg

Admiral

I agree with jonesq,

That Keel is GONE! It MUST be repaired from the INSIDE. Not sure what SURVEY you are referring to but if you paid someone to survey the boat and they Told you that the KEEL was sound and only needed outside repairs then you should report them to the proper authorities and have their license revoked. Of course I AM OLD and getting Senile and just looking at pictures so I MIGHT be wrong.

After doing a bit of reading about surveyors, most have a clause that gets them off the hook if they miss something anyway. Reporting them doesn't do any good.

This guy runs a boatyard in NJ and has a great website for DIY, he makes good points about surveyors.
http://www.customboatrepairs.com/jm...ne-surveyor&catid=8:boat-buying-tips&Itemid=7

sasto

Captain

The area in question had a patch over it before taking photo. We removed the patch and dug out as much wood as we could. She is solid. Beyond the wood you see from the outside is a lay-up of multiple layers woven roving, a mohogany 2x6 as the keel, then another multiple layers of woven roving. We don't see any reason to disturb the interior. The wood you see was used more for a filler than structure. She is being ground down and looked at further.

That said, my surveyer, and friend, and I have built several boats together. 61Garlington Sportfish, the 72 American Custom Yacht, Don Tao, and in process of a 90' American Custom Sportfish powered by 9200 HP. Dosen't make us experts but I put alot of stock into his imput. Thanks for the advice.

sasto

Captain

The keel is repaired... finally. New hose on all the underwater plumbing. Engine running good. Some electrclal work done. We feel we are ready for a sea-trial.

Not sure what we want to do with the V-berth. I stripped alot of it. We are only going to use it for a head, overnight storage, and the Admiral's fishing gear.

Attachments

• v berth.jpg
    v berth.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • berth stripped.jpg
    berth stripped.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to hear that the keel is repaired, that is a nice rig, love the flying bridge on her:D

Maybe convert the head to a baitwell? :D (just kidding I know your wife will want it to function as it did from the factory)

What powers the ship?

Good luck on the sea trials!

sasto

Captain

Glad to hear that the keel is repaired, that is a nice rig, love the flying bridge on her:D

Maybe convert the head to a baitwell? :D (just kidding I know your wife will want it to function as it did from the factory)

What powers the ship?

Good luck on the sea trials!

baitwell?.....the Admiral would go along with that, as she loves to fish.....just don't give her any ideas, trying to keep her simple. :)

She is powered by a Chrysler 318 coupled to a velvet drive tranny.

Thanks for the luck....Huron Angler

sasto

Captain

The deck was painted over the gelcoat. The floor is a faux print of wood. This is a tough decision.....do I sand the deck and non-skid it...... or strip the paint and keep the wood look?

Attachments

• deck paint.jpg
    deck paint.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

sasto

Captain

Our first day on the water. The Admiral is really happy with her old boat.

Attachments

• in water.jpg
    in water.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

That's a really nice boat. I will keep looking at that photo this winter to motivate me to keep slogging along on mine.

Do you have any plans for a Bimini top? I don't know about you but I can't take the sun for very long.

sasto

Captain

That's a really nice boat. I will keep looking at that photo this winter to motivate me to keep slogging along on mine.

Do you have any plans for a Bimini top? I don't know about you but I can't take the sun for very long.

Thanks Luhrs....and I've been watching your restore also. Deep down I'm a diesel guy too.

She has an almost new bimini top...we just didn't put her up the first day.

She is out of the water getting an interior and cockpit makeover now.

Status
Not open for further replies.