Marine Tex? Hull Repair

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 3 holes in my transom & it appears they were where a transducer was mounted. I want to plug the holes before water rots my transom. As of right now the last owner used silicone but thats not good enough for me so would marine tex be a good choice?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Marine Tex? Hull Repair

BUT.... Make sure to drill the holes out one size larger to make sure you get all of the silicone out and then fill em up with 5200...

I'm just sayin...:D

drewpster

Commander

My method may seem like overkill, but I think it is the most reliable. Drill the holes out to fit pieces of hardwood dowel and epoxy them in to the holes. Grind the dowels slightly below flush. Bring the surface back up by glassing some small pieces of surfboard cloth over them. And finish with tinted gelcoat, buffed to match the original color. Done. Never leak, never rot. At least until some bonehead drills in to the transom again.

Sidenote: If you want to mount a transducer to your transom. Epoxy a hardwood block to the transom, and screw the transducer to the block rather than rotting your transom. I have not seen one yet that did not let water in, regardless of the sealer, silicone, 5200 or any other goop.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ya know, Drewpster is 10000000% correct on both counts. Dowels and a hardwood block.

Now that's the ticket!!

I'm just sayin...:D

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

go with the marine tex. or if you want the dowels but your not really getting it any better then marine tex (no to 5200)

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies guys but now everything is on hold depending on how my motor situation turns out. I might just go ahead restoring the boat im not sure.