lounge seat base question..

sam winfrey

Recruit
I have a 1997 Maxum 2000SCL with 2 sets of lounge/ back to back seats.The base of the seats are wood with what looks to be some sort of paint with strands of fiberglass in it. The tops are completely enclosed so I have no way of knowing how they are attached. Does anybody know if these are just framed up boxes on top of the deck or is the bottom side open? I dont want to replace them I want to cut a hole in the side and place a fiberglass hatch over it and create some more storage space. The bases have carpet on them which im going to redo so i pulled back the carpet some and there are no bolts or screws or brackets that connect the base to the deck on the outside of it. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Oh and I contacted Maxum to see if maybe they could clue me in, and they wanted a service fee for me to talk to a marine tech. Well if anybody has some info they could pass on or has ever come across this before let me know. thanks

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: lounge seat base question..

They should be plywood boxes covered with csm or a spray on and should be tabbed to the deck and glassed in. The problem you may have is that they may be full of foam. That part I'm not sure of tho.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my Bayliner the bases are glassed to the deck and sides of the hull. Also mine were full of foam. I would bet yours are too.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure I understand your question. It's YOUR boat. You can DO anything you want. Just make sure it is structurally sound and get after it.
That's part of the fun. Makin it your own.
Oh, and pics make it a lot easier for us to SEE what you are talkin about.

I'm just sayin...:D

sprintst

Commander

Mine were just screwed into the deck. That way they can be removed and won't hold water.

I've got some pics of the rebuilt bases on my thread. I may do the same and cut holes in the side of each base for storage but have been looking for a hatch/door in the right dimensions before I cut the hole. Something 6-8 inches high and 15-20 inches wide would be enough for me to reach in and pull out life jackets, etc.

sam winfrey

Recruit

Thanks guys, this is going to be one of my many winter projects. I will post before and after pics and will try to give as much detail as I can.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too am going to build storage into my bases when I get to that point in my restore.