Sealing leaks in rivited aluminum boat

ange

Recruit
Many threads on this subject. I havent read anything like this used to seal the hull of a aluminum boat mentioned.Please excuse my typing ability as it is poor but i will try to convey my message the best i can.I recently bought a 1966 richline riveted aluminum fishing boat.On the first trip out i found out it had a leak or maybe several.I did some research on several products such as gluvit and decided to try something on my own.I bought some marine goop made by eclectic products.I researched that the solvents for this were touline and xylene.Colman lantern and stove fuel are made of xylene.I put some fuel in a smsll mason jar added some goop put the lid on and shook it until it became a syrup consistantcy.You have to shake it with a lid on instead of stirring it because the solvent will evaporate quickly and it will thicken up.Before doing this prep the boat i used eagle one mag wheel cleaner.That mag wheel cleaner cleaned better than the acid wash i bought at the marina.Down to bare metal.Just dont breath the fumes it will gag you.Rinse the boat off with a hose and wait for it to dry well.Best to do on a hot sunny day.Tip the boat upside down and lift up the side you want to seal first with the seam facing up so when you brush on the sealer gravity will draw it into the seam.Brush on mixture liberaly.Apply two coats.Tip the boat up the other way kind of like a side to side thing and seal the other seams.I have done this and not a drop has come into the boat for about 20 dollars.Ill see how long it lasts. I also painted over rivets. This sealer is clear and isnt very noticeable once the boat gets dirty again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sealing leaks in rivited aluminum boat

Let us know how long it lasts

I'm just sayin...:D

Itsalonestar

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, Ye of Little Faith! HAHAHAHA

I have this vague recollection of using using some
moisture cured urethane pool paint in the past...(probably not for its
intended purpose, but that's beside the point)....anyone tried
that on aluminum boats for repairing seams?

Let us know how long it lasts

Itsalonestar

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmmmm....just had a thought.....I wonder if you heated some water with some of the Silver Seal radiator stop leak stuff in it and poured it on the leaking area what would happen......just discovered I have a leak in the bow seam that looks like it will do a cup a minute or so. :)

Many threads on this subject. I havent read anything like this used to seal the hull of a aluminum boat mentioned.Please excuse my typing ability as it is poor but i will try to convey my message the best i can.I recently bought a 1966 richline riveted aluminum fishing boat.On the first trip out i found out it had a leak or maybe several.I did some research on several products such as gluvit and decided to try something on my own.I bought some marine goop made by eclectic products.I researched that the solvents for this were touline and xylene.Colman lantern and stove fuel are made of xylene.I put some fuel in a smsll mason jar added some goop put the lid on and shook it until it became a syrup consistantcy.You have to shake it with a lid on instead of stirring it because the solvent will evaporate quickly and it will thicken up.Before doing this prep the boat i used eagle one mag wheel cleaner.That mag wheel cleaner cleaned better than the acid wash i bought at the marina.Down to bare metal.Just dont breath the fumes it will gag you.Rinse the boat off with a hose and wait for it to dry well.Best to do on a hot sunny day.Tip the boat upside down and lift up the side you want to seal first with the seam facing up so when you brush on the sealer gravity will draw it into the seam.Brush on mixture liberaly.Apply two coats.Tip the boat up the other way kind of like a side to side thing and seal the other seams.I have done this and not a drop has come into the boat for about 20 dollars.Ill see how long it lasts. I also painted over rivets. This sealer is clear and isnt very noticeable once the boat gets dirty again.

ange

Recruit

I have been out on the boat three times since sealing it with goop and so far no leaks.I wish I had figured this concoction out before the floor got put on so I could have sealed both sides.So for I am happy with the results.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I re-read your post. I now understand what you did and I have to admit it is very ingenious. Basically MELTING the GOOP with a solvent rendering it into a syrup mode and then pouring it into the crevices of the seams of the boat. AS the solvent evaporates the GOOP will then re-Gel and thus seal the crevices. It will get into areas that no other method could because of it's thin consistency. Not sure how durable it will be but like you said, so far it's working good. It has Very good UV and water resistance, it does not harden and stays pliable, so it could turn out to be a very good solution. Thinking outside the box and being creative can sometimes yield outstanding results. I say GREAT JOB!!!